Chapter Seven

Avery and Megan are walking into an independent book store.

'This is your therapy?' Megan asks Avery as she leads her through the store.

'Books.' Avery replies. 'Books are my therapy. They always have been. My therapist is good, but books are my escape.'

'That makes sense. I've seen the bookshelves in your room.' Megan laughs. As they reach the young adult section, Avery spots a boy her own age looking at the bookshelves and stops. 'What's wrong?'

'Nothing.' Avery shakes her head. 'Let's go to a different store,' but before they can turn around the boy turns and sees them. 'Come on.' They turn around and quickly walk out of the store.

'Avery, what's going on?' Megan tries to get Avery to tell her what's going on. 'Avery, stop!' They're outside and walking quickly down the secluded the street the bookstore is located on.

'Avery!' They hear the boy shout after them.

'Avery.' Megan runs in front of her and stops. 'What's going on? Who is he?

'Avery.' The boy shouts once again as he approaches them. He grabs hold of her arm to get her to turn. 'Avery.' Avery spins around and slaps the boy around the face.

'Woah! Avery!' Megan exclaims.

'What the fuck are you doing here?' She glowers at him.

'I came to see you,' the boy smiles, 'to apologise.' 

'I already told you, Matthew, I will never forgive you for what you did.' 

'Ave-' Matthew starts to say. 

'No.' Avery shouts, cutting him off. 'You do not get to apologise. I said "no" again and again and again. I punching, kicking, screaming, crying and you still kept going. If Ally hadn't have walked in-' she stops and takes a deep breath, 'I am gay, Matthew, you know that. Yet you still tried to rape me because I wouldn't have sex with you. You were my best friend.' Megan stands beside Avery, shocked at what her friend is saying. 'You know I have a restraining order against you. You can't be here.' 

'That's only in L.A. It doesn't apply here.' Matthew states.

'Are you stupid?' Avery laughs. 'Do you not now how restraining orders work? Of course it applies here. The restraining order is in place wherever I go. Goodbye Matthew.' Avery turns around and starts walking off, getting her phone out as she does. Megan runs after her. 

'You okay?' Megan asks her. 

'No.' Avery sighs. 'Is he following us?' Megan looks behind them then back at Avery. 

'No.' Megan replies. 

'Good.' Avery exhales, putting her phone to her ear. 'Carlos,' she states after Carlos answers his phone, 'I need to speak to you.' 

.

Ten minutes later, Avery is waiting at he front desk at the police station. Megan decided to leave her once she knew that Avery was inside. Carlos walks out to her. 

'Hey.' He starts. 'Is everything okay?' He asks, noticing that she looks freaked out. 

'When someone moves here from another state and they have a restraining order against them, do you guys get a copy of the restraining order?' Avery questions. 

'Yeah, why?' Carlos nods. Avery just looks at him. 'Oh.' He realised. 'Come through.' He takes her through to his desk and they both sit down. 'You have a restraining order against someone?' 

'Yeah.' Avery nods. Carlos turns to his computer, logs in and pulls up the database of active restraining orders. He inputs the the week that Avery arrived and sees that there was one received from L.A. He looks back at Avery.

'Matthew Taylor?' He queries and Avery nods. 'Do you mind if I read through the file?' 

'Go ahead.' Avery consents. 'I don't have the strength to explain it all.' Carlos turns his attention back to the computer. After five minutes, he looks at Avery sympathetically. 

'Don't - don't look at me like that

'Don't - don't look at me like that.' Avery shakes her head. 

'Does your dad and TK know?' Carlos asks.

'No, and I'd like to keep it that way.' Avery responds. 'For now, anyway.' 

'What would you like me to do?' Carlos questions. 'I can track him down and arrest him or I can issue a caution.' 

'I don't know.' Avery sighs frustrated. 'He was my best friend until that day. I didn't press charges, initially but, he kept following me. He was angry. I'm sure you can see from the file what happened next.' Avery continues. 'He shouldn't be out yet. He has another like two years.' Carlos brings up Matthews records.

'He was given three years, let out in 6 months for good behaviour.' Carlos tells her, disgusted. 'I'll tell you what, I'll track him down and caution him. If he comes near you again, call me immediately.'

'Okay.' Avery nods. 'Thanks.' 

'Do you want a lift home?' Carlos asks her. 

'It's fine. I'll get an Uber.' Avery responds. They both stand up. 

'I'm glad you called me.' Carlos says before hugging her. They both part. 'I'll see you soon.' 

'Bye.' Avery smiles slightly before leaving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is more of a filler chapter which is why it's so short!

Don't forget to check out Addicted by DharmaWinter to read more about Megan!

Let me know what you think!

Much love