The City of Luck and Deception [12]

Yashin woke up as she looked around, noticing the colder climate and her allies asleep. Even Pico... wait-! 

Yashin thought for a moment as she got up and checked the windows, noticing how they had finally arrived in Cloverton. No wonder she woke up cold... this is the coldest place to be in the winter. Poor Pico just fell asleep on the captain's chair, which was likely as soon as they had landed.

An hour later, everyone was awake. However, Linette was seen in a large dark blue hood and cloak. ''What's that for?'' Akarui asked, putting her hoodie on. ''It's so that the people of Cloverton don't recognise me. At least, not until we get to Princess Alexandra's palace.'', ''Oh, that makes sense!'' Akarui exclaimed in a tone of realisation. ''You guys gonna sit n' talk forever or are we gonna get out into the big city of Cloverton?!'' Jiyu sang out, which was when Linette realised that Jiyu, Pico and Yashin had already stepped out of the ship.  She dragged Akarui out as they had both only just finished getting ready.

Cloverton was covered in shiny white snow, soft yet cold. Because the snow was common, there were directed paths all over the place, along with large buildings on every corner. It was similar to Kwamslak. Although, unlike Kwamslak, instead of crowds and loud pushing, there was cheer and melodic dancing. You didn't have to ask if people liked living in Cloverton, because the answer was no more than simple smiles of each person passing by. Along with the snow, the bright blue sky was quite the colourful sight, followed by the shops and stalls of all different colours. When the squad finally made it to the town square, the centrepiece of the fountain was a single small clover. ''I guess that's how Cloverton got its name,'' Yashin said with a giggle. 

''Not quite, there's more history to that than a single clover can tell you.'' An unfamiliar voice rang out behind them as they turned around. ''Ah, Princess Alexandra. It's a pleasure to be in your domain.'' Linette inquired, taking off her hood and bowing. ''The pleasure is mine, Princess of Crystopia. Queen Colette of Crystopia let me know of your arrival a few hours ago. Please, allow me to show you to your new living quarters.'' The Princess said as Linette whisper-instructed to the others, ''Don't say a word about our travels just yet. Wait until we're in the palace.''. This was followed by light nods as the hustle of townsfolk turned into a forged path for the Princess, her guards and her new guests.

Some time passed to the point of everyone being accustomed to their rooms in the palace and it was now time to talk to Princess Alexandra in private.

''Princess Alexandra, if you don't mind me asking... If you're the highest ruler here, why is your title princess and not queen?'' Pico asked, curious as Princess Alexandra simply smiled and answered with a quick, ''Because that's simply not how it's done here, in Cloverton.''. Pico gave a slight nod in response to such a quick response. ''Let me ask you five a question. Why are you here in Cloverton?'' The Princess added to the QnA as Akarui quickly noted, ''For the record, I'm still not entirely sure.'', of which Yashin added, ''But the rest of us can explain, though it might be a long story...'' she finished as Princess Alexandra laughed and said, ''Well then I suppose I should get some tea prepared.'', which led her to call over a maid to get six cups of tea, before asking everyone's tea preferences. 

As the tea arrived, Yashin started explaining. With the new information they learned from the books, she added to her previous story the events from after meeting Linette and Colette along with; ''And so now, I think what we're going to try and do is go to every nation that has a Gem of Power and either warn them about Itazura or ask if we could keep them safe, or at least somewhere where Itazura can't get to it!'' Yashin finally finished as Princess Alexandra finished her tea, giving the empty teacup to the maid. ''I see. Well if it helps, I have a safe place for Cloverton's Gem of Power.'' The Princess said as Jiyu cleared her throat and mentioned, ''Well if Itazura could get into an ancient jungle temple filled with traps... Might wanna up your security, your majesty.'' Jiyu sipped her tea as Princess Alexandra gave it a thought. ''Alright. I suppose you can go get it and keep it safe, tomorrow. But I'll be sending two of my best guards to keep you safe.'' The Princess sighed, trusting Princess Linette's friends to retrieve Cloverton's gem safely. ''Of course! Ah... But might it be bad if all five of us go? Along with the guards, making it eight...'' Pico mentioned as Princess Alexandra had an idea. ''Well, What if two or three of you stayed behind? It could be productive if you split up. We have a library in the palace, after all...''. Akarui hadn't spoken much after hearing the whole story, so the last thing she said before heading to her room to turn in for the night was, ''I can volunteer to stay here. Don't worry, I promise I'll find something.'' Jiyu was the first to notice the fact that this was the first thing Akarui had said without excitement in her tone. And with that, she left the room, heading to her chambers as she had said. ''Princess Linette, might I be so bold as to inquire you stay here as well? Being royalty, I'd like to discuss Crystopia and Cloverton's affairs with more discretion.'' Princess Alexandra asked as Linette was startled but agreed with hesitance. 

Later on, everyone decided to head to bed to get some rest before their long day tomorrow. However, as he was heading to his room, Pico passed a certain room.

A rusty wooden door had creaked slightly open as Pico passed it. He looked back and his curiosity to the better of him, leading to the decision to peek inside. There was a boy with greenish skin and black-dark green spikey hair, hitting a mannequin with an old stone sword. But Pico had seen more than just a boy with a sword. Obviously, he was training, but he looked professional as if he was born to fight. ''Woah...'' Pico let out, in a sigh of wishful thinking. The boy's attention was caught by the sudden noise as his head hastily jerked towards the door. Not knowing what to do, Pico just smiled, waved and said, ''Sorry! I was just passing by...'', Pico continued to walk after hearing a sudden, ''it's okay!'' back. 

Pico finally arrived in his room as he sighed with a smile, letting out a few words before he fell asleep, ''Damn, People here are so nice...''.