The Abyssal Legacy [31]

Darkness. Nothing but darkness. Then a white horizontal slit. Then a warm, blinding light.

It was the sun, waking the tired Yashin up. Yashin's eyes finally opened as she managed to force herself to sit up. Yashin groaned as she looked at a clock and rubbed her head, which was aching. Whether from the position she slept in or the fun night that previously happened, Yashin didn't care about the why. She got out of bed and stretched. After this, she dressed in her usual clothes and left the cabin, ready to greet the day.

''G'moning, Yashy!'' Jiyu waved, using a familiar nickname. Yashin smiled and said, ''Morning! Where are the others?'', ''They're waiting for us outside of Lady Guiz'qao's place. Remember? Iah told us yesterday that Lady Guiz'qao would tell us what we need to know!'' Jiyu explained as Yashin thanked her and they both rushed off.

Just as Jiyu said, their friends were waiting outside of  Lady Guiz'qao's place. Pico noticed them and raised his hand to the sky, waving to them. ''Hi! Hope you slept well!'' Akarui happily bounced, enjoying the company of her friends. After the common 'good mornings', Yashin took the lead and knocked on the bamboo-made sliding door. It then slid open and Viska was seen, as he bowed and allowed them in. Lady Guiz'qao was sitting in his chair as he started to speak, ''Welcome back, travellers. I believe you have some... or, one question for me, yes?'' he smiled as Yashin replied, ''Yes, sir! You may have heard of the new leader of Kwamslak... and well, how they're trying to destroy the world, basically. And we'd like to ask... where is your Gem of Power? Our plan so far is to keep all the nation's gems safe from Itazura, you see.'' Yashin finished as Lady Guiz'qao looked slightly shocked, then thought for a moment, before calling Viska, ''Viska, call Iah over to look after Nanako. We'll be showing these travellers to The Abyss.'' Viska nodded and left the room as Lady Guiz'qao turned to the squad and explained, ''The Gem of Power belonging to Nahrahka Island is in a large cave system, currently inhabited by Dragons, called The Abyss. For context, a large part of Nahrahka Island's history is how pure-blooded dragons and humans were at war. It's only thanks to my butler, Viska, that we've agreed to stay put, given how he has pure-dragon blood circulating his veins. With that, we also gave up the Gem of Power to the dragons. Gave up is a harsh term... it's more so, simply protecting it as the dragons in the Abyss would never give up such a jewel.'' Lady Guiz'qao took a break from explaining as he raised the cup of herbal tea that he had been holding this entire time. Linette reacted with a gasp, ''Dragons...? Isn't it dangerous to go to a place where the majority living there despises us?'', and to this, Lady Guiz'qao chuckled. Linette tilted her head, now confused. ''Did I not mention? Simply put, Viska is half-dragon. That and it looks like one of you isn't fully human either. Even then, Viska being with us is enough to keep us from harm's way.'' Lady Guiz'qao's smile slightly faded as he heard the door open.

In came Viska and Iah. They both bowed to Lady Guiz'qao as Viska escorted the squad outside, ready to leave. Before leaving, Lady Guiz'qao turned to Iah, who was sitting with Nanako and her toys, as he said, ''Take good care of her, Iah. I'm trusting you.''. Iah replied swiftly, letting Lady Guiz'qao hear before he left, ''Of course! I'd never let this little one outta my sight!''. The door closes and Iah smirks, continuing to listen to Nanako's request for a toy tea party.

On the way to the Abyss, everyone was talking. Seiko decided to ask Linette something, ''Hey, Linette! What do you think of Iah?'', Linette thought back to how Iah's been like, then answered. ''I think he's nice. He seems to be close to Lady Guiz'qao, and really helpful. Overall, he's charming which kinda makes me think he's secretly shady. But meh, I can't tell. Why'd you ask?'' Linette reflected the question as Seiko couldn't quite answer. 

Before Linette could say more, they stopped at the top of a small hill, in front of a large, dark cave. Viska spoke up, ''This is it.''. The atmosphere suddenly got gloomy, as Viska went in. When Pico tried to follow him, Lady Guiz'qao stuck his hand out in front of him. ''Trust him. He'll bring the current dragon leader out to talk to us.''. And just as Guiz'qao said, Viska came back out with a girl following him. She had black, wavy hair to one side, and grey skin with purple eyes. She had a long, elegant, purple dress on with a necklace tucked into it. Despite this, she had black horns on the sides of her head and dragon-like wings on her back. She may have seemed a simple half-human, but she was as intimidating as dragons are described in books. Her voice rang out, as she began to speak. ''What do you want, Guiz'qao?'' her piercing stare at Lady Guiz'qao had made it obvious that this interaction was an annoyance to her. ''The time has come where the Gem of Power must be brought to the rightful holders. Which in this case, are these travellers.'' Lady Guiz'qao exclaimed as the unnamed dragon lady eyed the rest of the group. She then noticed Jiyu, who wasn't fully human and had thought up an idea. ''Usually, I'd say no to giving up the gem to random travellers, especially since you made me swear an oath... However, We could do another 'trade'~'' She started as she pulled her necklace out from being tucked away and on it was revealed to be the Gem of Power. She then continued... ''Don't worry!~ I'll give you the Gem... Only if this blonde kitty-cat could be the one to wear it.'' she finished as she took her necklace off and swung it around in her fingers, waiting for Jiyu to take it. Before Jiyu could even have a say, Yashin jumped in and said, ''We'll do it!'', ''Good... Take care now~'' The unnamed half-dragon handed the necklace to Jiyu and left, with a mischievous smirk on her face. 

Lady Guiz'qao and Viska shrugged it off as they headed back. Trying to hide her frustration, Jiyu asked Yashin, ''Why did you just say yes? It could be a trick-'', Yashin cut her off, ready with her explanation, ''Because, whatever her intent was, she still gave a condition that we could handle. At least it wasn't trading you to her! Besides, I know you can handle one little gem.'' Yashin smiled as Jiyu returned the smile awkwardly.

Before they knew it, they had made it back to the cabins. Viska had already escorted Lady Guiz'qao home, as the squad decided to spend their afternoon having some private time in their cabins.

They had another gem in their possession, yet Jiyu felt a heaviness in her heart. The gem then gave a faint purple glow, as a slight whisper was heard... ''Come back to me, Jiyu~''.