Wine, Oranges and Pirate Bards [27]

Back at the Inn that the squad were staying at, Yashin, Jiyu and Pico finished explaining everything they found out to the other three. 

''Seriously?! A riddle?!'' Linette exclaimed in annoyance. ''Yeah, well at least it's a short paragraph and not a whole book...'' Akarui added, trying to lift their spirits. Seiko then had an idea and spoke up to share it, ''There's a bard that plays downstairs! They should know about rhymes, right? Or maybe the bartender could help? We've got to know him better ever since staying here and he's a smart man!'', Pico thought for a moment and then nodded. ''I think you're right. Even if it ends up blowing up in our faces, it's worth asking.'' Seiko gives a cheesy grin as the squad all head downstairs to the tavern part of the building.

It was crowded and loud, but among all the chatter, the bard was heard strumming the strings of her lyre. ''Okay, Since you three just got back, you can sit down. I'll stay with you so we can order everyone's drinks. While we do that, we'll talk to the bartender. Meanwhile, Akarui and Seiko? You might have to wait till after her song but the bard over there could decipher the meaning of the verse.'' Linette planned on the spot, as she sat down and watched everyone in the tavern carefully. ''Good idea! Let's hide among the crowd near the front, then when they've stopped crowding around her, we can try to talk to her!'' Akarui exclaimed as Seiko smiled and nodded at the plan. 

With Yashin, Jiyu, Pico and Linette sitting at the bar, resting, talking and surveying the area, and Akarui and Seiko standing by the wall, close to where the bard was singing, they all anticipated progress. The bard's voice was so soft. It felt like the lyrics were turning into a movie in their heads...

''On the deep blue dendro sea,

a bard captain sailed out to see,

all the lads and lass she helped to find her stor-ory.

Then came a boring man who talked the cap'n onto land,

while she looked away from it, her foe's had stole her ship.

Broke and alone she walked on land,cap'n of none and bard who stands,

no one helped and no one knew, how she's here, she had no clue.

Now on this dendro sea, a bard captain had a shared story,

she was always known and a hero to all, so now we sing her tale.''

Seiko and Akarui's eyes were wide and filled with joy. ''How have we not heard of this singer before...'' Seiko said with a smile almost bigger than his nose, as Akarui replied in fascination, ''I have no idea... But she's amazing!''. Before they knew it, the music stopped and people started wandering away already. As they did that, Akarui and Seiko's senses came back to them and they remembered what they had to do. 

''Excuse me, Miss? Your music was amazing!'' Seiko complimented as the lady chuckled at the two and thanked them. ''Ah, Before we forget! Ma'am? We have a... poem and we don't know the meaning of it... Do you think you could help us translate what it means?'' Akarui smiled sweetly as the brilliant bard put her lyre in her bag. She then answered their question, ''I don't see why not. The names' Meredith Hendrix! Nice to meetcha!''  She winked joyfully as Akarui excitedly introduced themselves back. After the introductions, the three went back to their friends at the bar who had a couple of drinks prepared. 

''Orange juice?! How did you know, I love orange juice!~'' Seiko exclaimed, seeing the drink he was given. ''So these are your friends?'' Meredith asked as they all continued to introduce themselves. Yashin then handed the note with the riddle written on it to Meredith. She only looked at it for a mere second before she realised what it was talking about. She then rushed everyone to the basement, which was rebuilt to be a wine cellar.

''Huh?!'', ''Why-?'', ''Hey, we left the drinks!'', ''Ah, I don't wanna trip down these rickety stairs!'', ''Ooh, Where are you taking us?'' were heard among the squad as Meredith locked the door and started to explain.

''I don't know what type of bullshit you're getting yourselves into but it sounds dangerous and I want to help!'' Meredith blurts out, leaving the others confused. ''Could you please just tell us what the riddle means...?'' Jiyu says, slightly annoyed at the sudden change of environment. ''Right, Sorry... A lot of bards don't write their own songs, thus don't know meanings to what they sing so you guys are lucky you got me! From what I read... It means something along the lines of, 'When the shadow takes over, it will take away everyone's happiness. To stop the shadows reign, unite every nation in the... temples heart? and stop the shadow once and for all.''' When Meredith finished her translation, Yashin deduced, ''Wait, you sounded confused near the end... Are you sure that's what it means?'' Yashin's doubt ceased as Meredith reassures, ''Not that I know exactly what it means but as unclear as the 'temples heart' seems, I'm sure you'll figure it out! In stories, the hero always defeats the villain!'' Meredith smiled as Pico spoke up, ''Oh! And I should probably share this information before I forget it, but the bartender said the closest nation from here is Nahrahka Island! No idea how we'll get there, though... given the GalacticArc got completely destroyed in the crash over here...'' Pico lowered his head as he mourned the destruction of his ship. Linette and Jiyu, being on either side of him, put their hands on his shoulders.

After looking at them with a weak smile, Linette joked, saying ''Too bad we don't know the captain in your song, Meredith. They could probably get us there in a day!'' which was referencing the song that she listened to from the bar earlier that evening. However, this is when Meredith decided to share some good news on that very subject. ''Actually, I have a ship! Not the same type that you probably had, but I can sail it! And go on, say it... How does a bard own a whole ship and still perform at a low-end tavern? Well...'' Meredith then gave a nervous laugh, almost scared to share the next part. ''Well, what?'' Akarui asked, curious. ''Well, I AM the bard captain! I told you I write my own songs.'' She once again gave a joyful wink as they had just noticed Seiko was holding his orange juice. When hearing the news, he almost choked on the drink, however, zombies can't die twice so he was okay. ''That's so cool!'' Yashin blurted out, as Jiyu's tail swayed swiftly from side to side. Linette and Akarui were silently fangirling at the back as Seiko chugged his orange juice and put it down, ready to set their next plans in action. ''Okay! So in the morning, we take Meredith's ship to Nahrahka Island, explore, learn and most of all, get the next gem of power!''. Everyone was finally in a fully happy state of mind, no longer dragging onto the depression that Wytherspear's atmosphere has. 

''What's a gem of power...?'' Meredith asked, confused as hell. ''Eh, We have a lot to explain! We can do it tomorrow though!'' Yashin replied as Jiyu added, ''Yeah, and I'm tired... We should head to bed.'' Jiyu yawned as her cat-like fangs were as sharp and shiny as ever. Meredith wished the squad goodnight as she continued doing what she usually did. 

Before the lights went fully out, Yashin had a question on her mind. And she simply couldn't get to sleep before asking it to a certain blonde cat friend of hers.

''Hey, Psst, Jiyu? You awake?'' Yashin whispered to the bunk above her which was claimed by Jiyu. A tired voice whispered back, ''Only if you keep whispering that loud, Yashy...''. Yashin held back a nostalgic chuckle as she shook it off and continued her question. ''Heh, Sorry... Do you miss home at all?'' Yashin asked, awaiting a reply. Jiyu didn't reply for a few seconds. When she finally thought up an answer, it wasn't what Yashin was expecting, but she didn't question Jiyu further. 

''I like our new friends and finding out more about the world and all... But yeah, I miss home a lot. Things were just simpler back then...'' She had said, then dozed off.