A Murderous Cupcake [15]

''AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!'' A familiar voice screamed out from the hallway. 

Jiyu's cat-like senses kicked in, being jumpscared awake. ''Who the hell is screaming at this time in the morning?!'' Jiyu exclaimed, annoyed. She stretched her arms and legs out like a starfish and then got up and out of her bed. Right as she opened her door, a bunch of maids, butlers, guards and other nobles in the castle were rushing in one direction. As one of the maids ran past, Jiyu grabbed her sleeve and dragged her back for them to face each other. ''What's happening?'' Jiyu exclaimed. The panicked maid hesitated to say, ''One of the other maids fainted at the sight of a dead body!'' and then in a flash, she zoomed off with the crowd. ''What-'' Jiyu breathed the words under her breath as she runs to Yashin's room.

KNOCK, KNOCK! ''Ughhhh, Who is it?'' Yashin's voice was heard, in an exhausted tone. Jiyu opened the door and explained as fast as she could. ''A bunch of palace staff are rushing because a maid fainted at the sight of a dead body!'' Yashin's eyes went wide as she screamed, ''What?!'' and then dragged Jiyu and herself to where the crowd was headed. Funnily enough, Yashin was still in her pyjamas. 

On the way, they knocked on Pico's door. But there was no answer. Then they knocked on Akarui's door. Not a single person inside. Finally, They knocked on Linette's door. This time, there was a response within as the doors creaked open. ''What's going on?'' Linette says. ''How are you awake with energy?!'' Jiyu blurts out without thinking as Yashin cuts in, exclaiming, ''That's not why we're here!-'' which to their comedic surprise, Linette cuts in as well, exclaiming with excitement, ''Oh! While you're here, I need to show you this!'' Linette dragged the two to her desk as she shows them the palace staff records. As one of the many healers, Earl was among them. 

Linette starts explaining what she writ down, ''Okay so, I was doing a background check on Earl, right? And it turns out, he didn't start out as a healer! He was taught healing by someone. That and he used to own a bakery! Cupcakes, specifically. That's where he got his name! Earl of Cupcakes... Makes sense, right?'' Linette continues to peak Yashin and Jiyu's interests as they continue to discuss if Earl is someone to trust. ''He used to bake cupcakes... So you think he can be trusted for simply that?'' Jiyu questioned as Yashin was ambitious to prove him trustworthy, ''Well cupcakes are sweet foods! Plus, Seiko brought us to him when we were out of it so...''. To be it a fair argument, Seiko did save them but in all technicalities, only he knows that. Charlie already deceived them, who knows when Seiko might?

 As the debate went on, Jiyu had an epiphany. ''Woah, wait- Hold up, we came here to tell you something, Linette! We can discuss this later, now cmon! Follow us.'' Jiyu remembered why they had come to Linette's room as Linette stops in her tracks and quickly says, ''Sorry! I'll catch up later, I still have Charlie and Seiko's background checks to do!'', Jiyu gave her a thumbs-up as she went straight to where the staff were hurrying to. Yashin reassured her, saying, ''Don't worry about it! We'll inform you of everything when we can!'' She waved and ran, following Jiyu as Linette was left to continue her research. In the city of luck and deception, she was lucky to find enough information about their deceptors. 

While on their way to where she heard the scream, Jiyu's line of sight was covered in the fancy floral wallpaper of the palace halls. The white trims zoomed past as each light on the ceiling looked like it was flashing between each one like a light show. It almost reminded them of the night they both sang at a karaoke bar in Kwamslak. The flashing lights, chatter, laughter and overall excitement. It brought happy memories to a day starting out with a scream and word of a dead body. Not to mention the trustworthiness of their peers.

As they finally arrived at the other side of the palace, there stood a large white door with police tape. And right outside the door, a plaque labelled 'Incinerator' was spotted. Below it had laid a blonde lady in casual clothing. She had multiple slits in her chest, all were dripping with fresh blood. In the crowd, Pico, Akarui and Seiko were seen. ''When did this happen?'' Jiyu asked, rhetorically but still hoping for an answer. Luckily, Akarui was a math master, so she thought for a second then responded, ''Approximately, just last night. It wasn't like this yesterday and the blood is still new.''. ''With this quick detective work, I'd like you and your squad to do one last favour for me.'' Princess Alexandra was heard, emerging from the crowd with a guard next to her. But the guard was holding a handcuffed Earl who seemed unbothered. ''Oh- Princess, We'd be happy to but why is Earl arrested?'' Pico asked as the guard sternly inquired, ''Because he is under suspicion for the murder of Lt. Longfaol.'', ''What?! That's crazy! Earl is the nicest man I know!'' Seiko argued with what the guard said but he kept his expression as Princess Alexandra replies for him. ''I'm fully aware and I agree but he's a suspect along with various others in the palace. This butler will show you the way to Lt. Longfaol's quarters for further investigation.''.  

As the Princess finished up at the crime scene, the squad headed over to the No.1 Guard's bedroom. Upon arriving, there were two guards who were supposed to guard the door, however, they were sitting on the ground rubbing their heads. ''Why are you two suddenly off duty?'' Seiko asked with sophistication. Being a knight in training, he was quite experienced in such speech. ''Apologies sir. According to the evidence, we were drugged in the night before our shift, leaving us to fall asleep with an unguarded door.'' One of them replied swiftly. 

That's when it hit them. This was a real murder mystery on their hands...

Akarui speaks up in a worried tone, ''So, there's a killer among us?''.