Chapter Eight- Boy Bands and Lunches

"What time will you be home?" I asked Kyla as we walked to The Luncheon, a small resto outside the university. We're on our way to meet Rico, Matt and Lucas for lunch.

"Around five. Why?"

"I'm going to dinner. I need your help."

"Holy shit! You have a date?"

"It's not a date. It's just dinner." I corrected.

"Then it's a dinner date! Oh my god! I think I'm gonna faint. Wait. With whom? Rico?"

I shook my head. "Mr. Madrid." I whispered.

"Oh my god again! You're dating your boss?"

"Kyla, it's not a date. I am not dating my boss."

"Whatever! I'm so happy for you. After twenty-two years of existence, finally my super pretty and hot best friend, Madi Daniel is going on a date." I knew how long Kyla waited for me to go on a date. She has imagined the moment hundreds of times in her head. Her excited expression was changed into a worried one.

"What?"

"I'm happy that you're finally getting out there meeting people," she paused and I sensed a but. "But please be careful. I know Michael Madrid is one hot and sexy millionaire. He's probably one of a kind. I just don't want to see you get hurt." 

"Oohkay. Ky, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I'm not even sure if I like the man. I just agreed to dinner so he'd stop inviting me to eat with him." I explained.

"Yeah. I'm sorry. I'm being OA again." And in a snap excited Kyla was back. She babbled about what dress I should borrow from her, if I will tie my hair or let it down and if I should wear heels or flats. I didn't even know I have to think of that.

Lunch with State of Mind started relatively smooth. Kyla and I met the new guitarist, Caleb. He was good-looking and charming. He fitted perfectly in SoM. They were all roses now. Tall, messy-haired, charming and bright-smiled roses. I can only imagine how much girls would scream during their gigs.

We ate and chat as if freshmen year was just yesterday. Like nothing happened.

Lucas already has a girlfriend while Matt just broke up with his. Kyla joined the relationship talk when they asked about Justine, her ex-boyfriend. Caleb, Rico and I listened to the three as they rehash their relationship stories. At least, I wasn't the only one who had no love story to share.

"Mmm! Mmm!" Matt swallowed before continuing. "We have a gig tonight at Deandra. You girls should come and see us." he said before stuffing his mouth with a spoonful of rice. Matt was the joker and goofy one in the band. He was in his usual hipster look with his guitar right beside him. He never leaves the house without his guitar even if there was no band rehearsal. It was like his safety blanket. Behind all his funny antics was a broken heart. He once opened up to us about his father's drinking problems.

"What time?" Kyla asked.

"Nine." Rico answered. "You should come, Madi." His eyes were staring straight at me. I was actually waiting for a reaction from myself like I used to have when he'd stare at me. To my surprise, there was nothing. I didn't blush. I didn't feel like melting. I guessed I got over my admiration for him.

"Actually, she can't," Kyla smiled at Rico then to me. I beckoned her to stop talking but she still continued. "She has a date."

Howls filled our table. That moment I wanted to strangle Kyla. I narrowed my eyes at her. "It's not a date. It's just dinner." I corrected.

"A dinner date." Kyla insisted.

"Wow. Well, if you have time you can drop by Deandra." Rico's expression turned sour. If Matt was the funny one, Rico was the complete opposite. He's kind and fun to be with but he has the tendency to be serious. I mean who the hell gets mad at someone who doesn't want to shift programs?

When lunch was over, the guys teased Rico to buy everyone a sundae from the McDonald dessert station beside the school. We sat at the steps by the Main Gate enjoying our ice cream.

"We should take a groupie!" Kyla suggested taking out her phone. Caleb brought out a monopod from his backpack. He came prepared. We posed for a couple of shots. "I'm uploading these right now and tagging everyone." Kyla busied herself with her phone. "Hey Caleb, accept my friend request."

Matt also brought out his phone and took wacky pictures with each one of us. In an instant he was able to upload all the photos online. As soon as they were finished, I borrowed Kyla's phone to see all the photos. The caption read SoM Reunion. Most of them really looked funny and I was stuck looking at the last one with me and Rico. Our heads were pressed together and we're both grinning from ear to ear holding up our sundaes.  The photo looked really sweet. There was a time I wanted to have a picture like that to be more than just a picture.

*****

Before Kyla and I parted ways, she ordered me to ask Mr. Madrid where he's taking me for dinner so that she'll know what she'd be working with. Isn't that ridiculous? I mean can't you wear a T-shirt and jeans to a dinner? Why do I have to dress up for one meal?

I changed into my casual clothes from the Lumiere uniform when my shift was over. I made my way to the top floor and met Avery at the reception. She still looked pretty in a navy blue dress topped with a white blazer and nude platform heels. I could never dress like her.

"Hi, Avery. Do you think I could speak to Mr. Madrid?" I said politely.

"Of course, Miss Daniel."

"Please call me Madi."

"Mr. Madrid instructed us to addr-." she stopped herself. "I already sent Carlos a message. Please come in."

I smiled and thanked Avery before I got in the office but I wondered what she was about to say.  What exactly did Mr. Madrid instructed them?

"Miss Daniel, he's ready to see you." Carlos said as soon as he saw me. I've never been called Miss Daniel that often until I met Mr. Madrid. It made me feel uneasy but I guess it would be like a practice ground. When I become a teacher, I'd be addressed that way every day. I nodded at Carlos who like Avery looked polished in a fitted green suit and tie. He had a K-pop vibe into him.

I pushed the double doors and stepped inside Mr. Madrid's office. His seat was facing the window behind his desk. I cleared my throat and he immediately turned his chair.

"Are you here to cancel on me?" he said in a serious tone, his expression deadpan. Before lunchtime, I called Harlow and my bosses were kind enough to let me switch day offs.

"Do you want me to?" I said trying to lighten up the mood but I realized it wasn't a time to be cocky with him when he wrinkled his forehead. He seemed to be angry. "Not cancel but confirm. My bosses allowed me to take the day off. Also, my best friend wants to know where you're taking me tonight."

"Why?"

Because she's dressing me. Can I tell him that? "Is it a secret?"

"It's a surprise."

"Okay fine." I said turning my heel to leave. "Don't blame me if I wear a sack tonight." I whispered to myself.

"What?" I heard him say before I was out.

Hey there! Short chapter. I know. Next chapter is longer. Hopefully.

COMMENT, VOTE, SHARE, FAN.

I'd love to hear from you. :D