Chapter Eleven- Annoying Jerks and Hot Ramens

Luckily, Ma'am Hailey gave me the permission to spend the night at the club. She even prepared the folding bed in the locker room for me. My co-workers in the club were kind enough not to ask what happened to me tonight.

I can still hear the dance music coming from outside as I fixed the beddings. When I lied down the cot, I mentally recalled what happened. Everything was fine. Dinner was great and I enjoyed talking to Mr. Madrid. I thought the fireworks display would be the highlight of my night. Then we kissed. That ruined everything. Then he ignored me. I decided to run away.

I will spend the night at the club and come home just in time before Kyla wakes up. Speaking of Kyla, I have to prepare telling her what happened but with less detailed version.

I set my phone alarm. For the past two hours, all my attempts to sleep failed. I gave up knowing I can't force myself to just fall asleep with everything going through my mind. I changed into my spare clothes in my locker. I informed Philip, the club security that I was going home.

I got to the boarding house at exactly four. I unlocked the gate and I was about to enter when I heard someone cough behind me. It was the prick. Can't he just give me a break?

"Where have you been?" Mr. Madrid demanded. His brown hair was tousled. He took off his coat and folded the sleeves of his dress shirt. He looked like a hot mess.

"I already told you." I replied trying to sound cool. "Hell. I thought I'd see you there."

"Madi. Please let me explain."

"Sure. Explain why you just ignored me after we..." I trailed off.

"Can we talk somewhere else?"

"Forget it. Goodbye, Michael." I locked the gate behind me. I hurried my way up to the house without looking back. I hate guys in rumpled shirts and black SUVs.

I took a bath and made myself a cup of coffee. Michael was gone. It's so weird that I call him by his first name when I'm angry.

As expected Kyla extracted every detail about my dinner but I was prepared spending my supposed to be sleeping hours to think what I should tell her. I tried to sound very convincing. Ali and Lisa were also there to hear how my night went.

"I was right and you guys were wrong. It was just dinner. We ate good food, talked a little and watched fireworks."

"Did he set up a fireworks display for you?" Ali asked.

"I don't think so. I guess he knew there was a display happening that night." Lie.

"Come on, bes. What else happened?"

"Did you guys kiss?" Lisa said. I pointed my right cheek. "That's it?" I nodded. Lie. "The guy is slow poke."

"Did he ask you out again?" Kyla butted in.

I shook my head. "First of all, he never asked me out. It wasn't a date. He was just making sure I'd pay him what I owed. Second, dinner or date will never happen again." I half-lied.

"Fancy dinner and fireworks sounded like a date to me." Lisa shrugged. "Just saying."

I waited for Kyla to finish getting ready for school. She didn't look so convinced during breakfast but I hoped she'd stop asking me about last night. We started our walk to school. Kyla was about to say something when a familiar SUV stopped in front of us. David came out of the car.

"Good morning, Miss Daniel. I'm here to give you ladies a ride." he said opening the door for us.

"Hey! You're the one who took us home Monday night! Or should I say Tuesday morning?" Kyla squeaked beside me. "I'm Kyla."