Chapter Twenty- Hospitals and 'Things'

Michael looked like he lost ten years of his life. His face was pale, hair tussled and dress shirt rumpled. He was panting obviously from running. Fear etched all over his face.

What happened to him?

More importantly, why is he here? How did he even know?

Kyla!

"Geez, I'm fine, Michael. Thanks for asking." I rolled my eyes at him.

He took a long breath before staring at me intently. His eyes moved from the bandage on my head to the scratches on my arm stopping to the hand resting on my hip.

"Why didn't you call me? I was looking for you at the store only to find out from Mrs. Carino that you were hit by a car." He sounded like a worried parent. Before I could respond, he turned to the nurse passing. "Where is the doctor?" he demanded. The nurse stuttered a reply and dashed to call the doctor.

"Michael, relax. I'm already getting discharged. You're worse than Kyla."

"You have no idea how worried I was. I didn't know what to expect coming here. Where's the fucker? Did you file a complaint?"

"I'm still breathing so you can stop worrying now. He's buying my prescription and paying the bills. The police left after I made a report."

"What? No we ha-."

"Excuse me, I'm Dr. Vargas. Are you her family?" the doctor cut him off.

"No." I answered the same time he said "Yes".

He scowled at me. "Fine. Yes. He's familiar but not family."

His eyes lightened and I knew he was controlling a smile. "I'm Michael Madrid. I need to know her condition, please. More specific than 'I'm fine.'"

The doctor relayed to Michael what he told me minutes ago. He was demanding more tests so I had to interrupt. They already did the necessary tests on me. He insisted that I should be confined for observation but the doctor assured I was good to go home. One more minute in this hospital and I'm going to hurl. Michael was stubborn as hell but gladly, he let it go.

David appeared with a bag when the doctor left. Michael took it and informed me that he brought clothes for me. Somehow, he knew my clothes were soiled from the accident. It's quite amusing how he anticipated my needs even before I needed it.

Without my knowledge, he requested a room where I could change. I claimed that it was completely unnecessary because there were comfort rooms in the building. He pointed out that I needed a private place to change. I simply sighed in defeat.

We made our way to the room. I was in a wheelchair being pushed by Michael. Once we reached the room, I took the paper bag from him and entered the bathroom.

Checking out the bag, I found a dress and some toiletries inside. I guessed he forgot footwear.

I tossed the hospital gown and slip on a mint maxi dress. It was one comfortable piece of clothing. It felt very light on my skin. I wondered if I have clothes like this in my closet. I should be wearing loose clothing until my bruise healed completely. Oh well, Kyla's closet would be available for me. I'm sure.

"Madeleine, do you need any help?" Michael asked behind the door.

"No." I rolled my eyes with his usage of my name. "I'm almost done." I answered as I combed my hair.

I stepped out of the room and Michael stood quickly from his chair. He shortened our proximity and I felt frozen. He tucked a few strands of hair behind my ear. His touch sent electricity through my entire body. I can feel shivers through my spine.