Chapter Thirty-One- Rainy Nights and Estranged Fathers

Running.

I was pretty good at running. I ran away from a hurtful place. I ran from painful memories. And now I was running from a lie.

Running.

I kept on running. The rain came pouring down but I didn't stop. My legs wouldn't stop. Maybe if I ran in the rain, what I witnessed would just be erased from my head. I was drowning in my emotions. Everything just felt so heavy inside and out.

Michael getting engaged.

How the hell did that happen? We're supposed to be in a relationship. Me and him. We're together, aren't we? Was I hallucinating that we are?

A loud horn stopped me from my tracks. It took me a second to realize that I was in the middle of the road. A car almost hit me, again.

"Oh my god, Miss. I'm so sorry." the driver ran to me with an umbrella which protected us both from the harsh drops of rain. He wore a concerned expression on his face. "Are you alright? Do you need a ride?"

I don't know what came to me but I nodded. The man could be a killer or a rapist for all I care. I climbed in his car soaking wet. Once we were both inside, he passed me a box of tissue. I shivered as soon as I started drying myself. He noticed and wrapped a coat on me.

"Thank you." I said with my lips still shivering.

"Where should I take you?" he asked making me look outside. Well, would you look at that. I was only three blocks away from home. Who knew I could run that far? I should join a marathon or something.

"I live three blocks from here."

"Oh you're from here? Do you know this address?" he passed a small white paper for me to read.

I looked at him. He was probably in his mid-forties. He didn't look like a killer or a rapist. But then looks can be deceiving. He was in decent clothes which looked expensive in all honesty. The car smelled like fresh leather and I didn't wonder why when I saw what kind of car it was. Killers and rapists don't have Mercedes, do they? From the rear mirror, I saw teddy bears and small pillows for children. He was a father. I thought.

I looked at him once more before I concluded that he could be a good man. "I know this place."

"Really? It's a boarding house, I was told."

"It is. I live there." I gave him directions to the boarding house.

"Thanks. Maybe you can help me. I'm looking for someone. I've been trying to find her for as long as I remember."

"Who is it?" I knew almost everyone in the boarding house.

"Her name's Madeleine Daniel."

I stilled at his mention of my name. What the hell? Why was he looking for me? I've never met him before. I don't even remember seeing him ever.

"Does she know you?" I asked.

He shook his head with eyes still.focused onthe road. "No. Not yet."

"Why are you looking for her?"

"She's my daughter."

What the f-? Did he just say he's my father? You've got to be kidding me. Am I in some kind of soap opera here? First, I found out my supposedly boyfriend got engaged to another woman. Then now my "father" was suddenly beside me. Am I on TV? Where are the cameras?

"You're probably wondering why she's my daughter but she doesn't know me yet." he said with a sad smile. "I've spent my life looking for them. Then I found out, Juliet passed away years ago."