Chapter Seventeen- Likes and Apologies

Michael and I left the office while his sister went to the marketing department for some business matters. As we walked through the hallway, I felt several pairs of eyes on us. Michael's hand was placed on the small of my back. I'd remove it but he'll just put it right back. We were walking too close to each other. When I try to set some distance between us, he would grab my hip and pull me closer to him. I gave up knowing he won't. Michaela's voice echoed in my head. "I think he likes you."

Like, verb, to feel affection or attraction, to be fond of something or someone. How do you know if someone likes you? How do you know if you like someone? I wanted to Google it but Michael would be snooping beside me.

"Did my sister say something?" his voice startled me. I didn't realize I was in deep thought until we stepped in his car.

"Hmm?"

"You look bothered. What did she say?"

Should I tell him? Yes. No. "She asked me if I like you." I blurted out.

"And?" He stared at me blankly, totally unaffected by what I said.

"I told her you're my boss."

"You didn't answer her question. Do you?"

I shrugged. "What do you think?" I decided to tease him.

"Yes, you do." he answered confidently, his eyes so convinced with himself.

I laughed. "Don't flatter yourself."

"Then look at me in the eyes and tell me you don't like me too."

Too?

I had no idea what to say. Luckily, the bright lights surrounding Harlow entrance caught my eye. "We're here." I announced a little louder than intended.

"You're gonna leave me hanging again, won't you?"

"I think you ask more questions than me now." I chuckled and he joined me. Hearing him laugh was like music in my ears. Say what?

"I wonder whose fault is that."

"I'll see you tomorrow, Michael." I waved at him still giggling. Shoot. Madi Daniel is giggling. Is the world coming to an end?

The entire night, I had this stupid grin on my face that doesn't seem to vanish. Michael popped inside my head as I jumped from one table to another to take orders and serve drinks. The guys in suits by the bar reminded me of him. I even checked my phone a few times like I was expecting him to call or text me. God, I must be insane.

My usually forced smiles to customers were no longer forced. I gave them genuine ones as if serving them alcohol was the most enjoyable thing I did in my life. I was being extra friendly to everyone even my bosses noticed. There was something wrong with me. Something strange was going on.

During my break, I pulled out my phone and I suddenly felt giddy seeing a tiny envelope on the screen. I opened the message and there was this weird fluttering again inside my stomach once I saw who it was from.

Eat your dinner.

I rolled my eyes. The message was nothing but serious and commanding. Okay. Fine. I admit. The weird fluttering was still there even with the undesirable tone of his message. I decided not to respond. He's probably in a fancy dinner or something.

Even though it was a weeknight, the club was packed we we're busier than ever. By twelve, Ma'am Hailey asked me to serve drinks at the VIP section since it was also a full house.