Chapter Thirty-Six- Mellow Tunes and Heartbroken Drunks

1. Say Something- A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera

2. Like I'm Gonna Lose You- Meghan Trainor ft. John Legend

3. No Air- Jordin Sparks ft. Chris Brown

4. Just Give Me A Reason- P!nk ft. Nate Ruess

4. Angels Cry- Mariah Carey ft. Ne-Yo

5. Run Run Run- Kelly Clarkson ft. John Legend

6. Both of Us- B.o.B ft. Taylor Swift

7. Aiplanes- B.o.B ft. Hayley Williams

8. Need You Now- Lady Antebellum

9. The Last Time- Taylor Swift ft. Gary Lightbody

10. Stay- Rihanna ft. Mikky Eko

I've been reading over and over again the setlist that Rico gave me earlier this week. I made a note to self to ask him if he had any particular reason for choosing these songs for tonight. Most of it are duets or sang by a band with a male and female, I get it. I knew most of them but the thing was the songs were all sad or at least had a mellow tune. It made me wonder why he'd put a list like this. It wasn't exactly the kind of setlist SOM performs.

I showed up ten minutes earlier to the band rehearsal Saturday. While I waited for the guys to arrive, I listened to the songs using the new phone. I was in my third or fourth song when I felt movement from behind me. Immediately unplugging my earphones, I stood to turn around.

"Hey! How long have you been standing there?" I asked Rico who looked like he just got caught stealing chocolate from the fridge.

"Uh, just a few minutes." he mumbled obviously lying. I didn't have to say anything to tell him I knew he was lying. A squint was enough. "Fine. Since Say Something."

That was the first song. "Why didn't you say something?"

"Really, Madi?"

"Yes, really."

"I didn't even know it was you with the new hair. Until you sang. You sounded lovely. I enjoyed just listening to you. I don't think you need this rehearsal."

"Um, yes I do. I have a lot of questions. Starting with why are we singing sad mellow love songs?"

"To help you let it out."

"What do you mean?"

"You don't wanna talk about how you feel? Then sing it." he answered honestly.

Rico was right in so many reasons. None of these songs exactly tell the story of what happened to me but each song was expressing the same feels. Maybe music would be my instrument to express how I feel. Talking was never my way but singing was different. It was something I knew I could do.

"Okay. Next question. Why are we singing B.O.B?"

"You're not." Matt arrived and answered for Rico. "We are." he said draping an arm around my shoulder. "Nice look, by the way."

Apparently, Matt's new skill was rapping. He has discovered what he can do for a year now but he only felt confident about showing his hidden talent when I rejoined the band. For what reason, I had no idea.

The others guys arrived and we started practice. It went smoothly as everyone just seemed to know what they're doing. It was like we were reading each others' minds. One look and we knew what we wanted to happen. We were on a roll amd ready for tonight. I didn't expect to fit in like I used to. The new song arrangements weren't difficult to follow.