Chapter Twenty-Eight- I Love You's and Amateur Singers

What do normal people in romantic relationships do when their special someone says those three words with eight letters?

They say it back.

Right.

It wasn't a question that I needed to answer but the least I could was to say something else. But then I didn't. Hello? I'm Madi Daniel. I'm not normal.

So what did I do?

I hang up. My sweet boyfriend says he loves me on the phone and the sweeter girlfriend that I was, I hang up. Stupid move. Trust me, I know. I was so freaked out.

What was even more stupid was that he called again probably wondering why the line went dead. I ignored the calls and switched off my phone throwing it inside my drawer.

To say that I panicked would be an understatement. It freaked the hell out of me. When someone says I miss you, you say I miss you back and not I love you. I wasn't prepared for that. So yeah I hang up. Worse part was I was avoiding him and I most likely hurt his feelings.

I've never said those words to anyone. Not even to my best friends. No one has ever said those to me either. Maybe my grandfather did but I could'nt remember. Kyla blurts it out all the time like it was synanimous to hello. I knew she meant it but the way Michael said it was so different. Like it made me want to believe that love makes the world go around and life is about being in love.

When I say it, I want him to feel the same thing. When would that be? I had no idea. Sooner than later, I hope. Cause he'll be back in five days and I couldn't ignore him like I did with his calls.

I was on my way to Deandra for Rico's invitation to sing with him. We've been rehearshing these past few days. I was feeling a mixture of emotions. I was anxious excited but I thought I was ready. Rico would be there just in case I screw up.

I'd meet Kyla there as she was still at home probably just taking bath. She came back last night as we'll register for our classes tomorrow. She was excited too to hear me sing again so she promised to see us. I've told her my recent dilemma. Surprisingly, we were on the same page. She was actually surprised that Michael said it first.

"I mean he's completely smitten and obsessed with you but I never saw him as the I-love-you type, you know. When he comes back, just tell him you don't wanna go too fast. He'll get it. He worships you so he wouldn't wanna push you away. Besides actions speak louder than words. You can't say it, show it."

Somewhere in her advice, I found sense. It made me feel more stupid to have been ignoring his calls. I dialled him this morning but I guess it was his turn to ignore me. I realized I did hurt his feelings more than I thought. I'll jusy wait for him to come back so we can talk personally.

I couldn't really fathom why Michael likes me so much. And now loves me. If he meant what he said, of course. I was this cynical, insensitive girl who only looked after herself. The only thing I knew was how to survive. And Michael was the sweet and generous man who'd move mountains to show how much he cares. He can be bossy, moody and possessive at times. Okay, all the time but still. I never met anyone like him. He was that amazing. So he can have any girl he wants and yet he chose me. Why me?

*****

Deandra had an awesome crowd for a weeknight. Most of the audience was made up of college students. I guessed we were all making the most of the days left before the second semester start next week.