Chapter Thirty-Nine- Rock Climbings and Jealous Exes

Relax, Madi. I told myself. Calm down. Just because his entire crew is here, it doesn't mean he's here.

I swallowed at the sight of David raising his brow to Carlos and Avery. The two were supposed to get coffee for... The three of them? Please let me be right. What the hell happened to the low probability of running into him?

"Miss Daniel." David was startled by my presence. "H-how are y-you doing?" he stuttered.

"I'm good, David. Thanks for asking."

"I'm s-sorry about the call. I..." he trailed off.

"Hey, forget about it." I knew he was apologizing for hanging up on me. "I understand."

"Thanks. Miss Madrid wasn't as forgiving as you. I get a glare every time she sees me."

"Um, I'm sorry to interrupt but the boss is waiting upstairs." Carlos butted in.

"He's here."

"Yes." Avery confirmed with hesitance which made me more nervous than I was already.

I took a deep breath. I got to think on my feet and be rational. "It doesn't matter if he's here. This is all his after all. But it doesn't mean he needs to know all the shoppers in mall. Right, guys?"

"Right!" Avery and Carlos said in unison. I missed these two.

"Am I right, David?"

He nodded. "He was right too. You've changed a lot, Miss Daniel."

"Good change, I hope." I smiled at all of them as farewell before I held out my hand for Sean. He gladly took it and we went on our way to this 'great place'. Who needs beer to be confident?

*****

All my excitement for this 'great place' was gone when I realized where our destination was. It was a park, the exact same park where I had picnics with Mr. Madrid. The park where strawberries dipped in Nutella became our thing. The park where he asked me to be his girlfriend. The park where I said yes to his over the top proposal. The park where we had romantic boat rides and midnight strolls. The park where we spent our happy last night together. Being in this place definitely brought back all our wonderful memories together. It was heartbreaking to reminisce those times because I knew I could never bring it back. It will remain to be memories.

My heart clenched inside my chest. I wished someone would just rip it out. Maybe that would be less painful than I was feeling right now. I want to run, cry and yell all at the same time.

No, Madi. You're stronger than this. I gave myself a peptalk as I stopped a tear from escaping my eye.

"Come on! We're almost there." Sean took my hand and pulled me behind him. Strangely, there was a feeling of warmth as he held my hand. I did my best to dismiss all my thoughts of Mr. Madrid. Going down memory lane wasn't part of today's agenda.

Sean led me to the some kind of forest past the lake. Along the way, he told me that the academy has been conducting tree-planting activities annually so he knew about the place. It was his escape from his busy life. It seemed like it was a really special place for him. I wondered why he brought me here.

In the middle of the tall trees, there were huge rocks which looked odd and out of place. We climbed up the rocks. He had to pull me up because I wearing a maxi skirt and flat sandals, not exactly rock climbing-appropriate. We sat on top of the big rocks and started to drink our coffee and munched our sandwiches, both already turned cold but still good anyways.