Chapter Twelve- Snobbish Bosses and Expensive Phones

The free car ride offers and flower deliveries stopped the next morning. I was relieved because it was already getting unwanted attention from my friends and other people in the house. It was a sign that Mr. Madrid and I already had an understanding. I can focus on my studies and work which should have been the case in the first place. I was right all along guys are distractions. I have to concentrate in school. I have to-.

My phone buzzed inside my pocket. It was an unknown number.

"Hello?" I answered but I can only hear muffled sounds. It's probably my phone. There were really times that it's lagging down. On and off or there's something wrong with the speaker. Usually, the person on the other line would sound choppy but not as muffled. "Hello? I'm sorry I can't understand you."

When I looked at my phone, it hang before shutting down on its own. I kept it on my drawer. It just needs to rest for a few days before it'd work again.  I busied myself with the handouts in front of me. Midterm exams would be next week and I still had a lot of readings to do. This was the perfect time to concentrate.

While I was hanging back all the dresses that one 40-something woman tried on, Ma'am Bridgit approached me with a worried look on her face. It's the same look she had when Mr. Madrid called me in his office for being late during my second day. Does that mean the prick's summoning me in his office again?

Definitely. I found myself sitting uncomfortably across Mr. Madrid who was obviously about to yell at me but controlling himself. I have no idea what I've done wrong. I was never late again. I'm no longer avoiding him but we haven't seen each other because he had a business trip. I admit, he'd pop inside my head sometimes but that doesn't mean anything, right?

He just came back today. Why did he want me in his office? More importantly, why does he look angry? His handsome polished look was a total waste with his sour expression. He's making me nervous with those hazel browns looking at me with intensity. His brows formed a line that one might find totally scary. Too bad for him, he doesn't intimidate me like he used to.

"Did you lose your fingers?" he asked out of nowhere.

"What?"

"You obviously didn't lose your voice so I thought you lost your fingers."

"What are you talking about?"

"I've been trying to call you for the past few days I'm in Tokyo but it's either you're not answering or out of reach. Are you doing it on purpose? I thought you've forgiven me."

"I did. My phone's not working properly these days so I'm letting it rest. Why are you calling me anyway?"

The intensity of his eyes was replaced with vulnerability. "I wanna hear your voice."

Shoot. How am I supposed react to that? "I'm sorry." I bowed, not knowing what else to say. When I raised my head again, he was already in front of me.

"I understand. It's good to see you again, Madi. I missed you." He cupped my face with one hand, his thumb caressing my cheek. What is he doing? "Come with me." He took my hand and pulled me to stand. Did he just say he missed me?

"Where?" was the only word I managed but he ignored it.

He held me as we head out of his office. Carlos stood in a jolt as he saw us. "Cancel all my meetings today." he ordered.

"Yes, sir." Carlos replied quickly.

"Inform Mrs. Carino that Miss Daniel is with me for the rest of the day." Mr. Madrid tightened his grip on my hand like he had no plans of letting me go.