Chapter Eighteen -Big Houses and Abundant Breakfasts

Surprise! Another update. Hope you enjoy it.

Chapter Eighteen -Big Houses and Abundant Breakfasts

I swallowed my protest when David stopped in front of iron gates. He pressed a small remote and the gates opened. The driveway led to a huge house with an impressive modern architecture. With the design of the house, I can't even tell how many floors there were. There was no denying it was Michael's house. The color, texture and materials screamed Michael Madrid.

I contemplated on what to do. Why did he bring me to his house? Should I be here? David opened my door as Michael got out of his. Shoot. No more time to think.

Walking behind Michael, my mind was in chaos, heart thumping fast. Without thinking, I grabbed his hand and he turned to me. "Why are we here?"

"Relax, Madi. I just wanna feed you." Somehow his voice was soothing. It's so unfair. I felt like exploding of panic inside and he remained relaxed and collected.

"I need to go home."

"I know. Don't worry, I'll take you after we eat." he promised before adding. "If you still want to."

What did he mean by if I still want to? Of course I would want to go home. I let go of his hand but he was quick to grab it back. He intertwined his fingers with mine and opened the front door. The gesture made my knees wobbly and the weird fluttering in my stomach began again. It was mentally tormenting in a good way.

My eyes wandered around the entrance with a grand spiral staircase and one living room to my left and another to my right. Each was filled with ultra-modern pieces and testosterone-infused décor. Stone, wood and steel furnishings contradicted and complemented each other. The color palette was soothing to the eyes. I spot the pool outside from the floor to ceiling glass windows.

"You have a beautiful home." I admired and he rewarded me with a smile. I felt like melting. And I couldn't get over the fact that Michael was still holding my hand. It felt good and safe.

I can't remember feeling like this before. Safe, adjective, free from danger or the risk of harm. There was always a part of me who thinks the world was cruel and not everyone can be trusted. It took me some time to learn that the world wasn't as terrifying as I thought it was but I still have to be careful. I must protect myself. I shouldn't give anybody the power to hurt me. Not anymore.

We walked inside passing through the dining room with a crystal chandelier hanging above the rectangular dining table paired with white leather chairs. Adjacent to the dining room was the kitchen. It looked like one of those in the cooking shows, modern and elegant. It had a huge island and Michael let me sit on one of the stools. I felt kind of disappointed when he released my hand. Seriously, Madi? I scowled at myself for reacting that way.

My eyes followed Michael as he moved gracefully in his kitchen. He made opening the fridge and setting up a pan on the stove look fascinating. He opened two containers and transferred its contents in the pan. His back was on me and there I was again drooling behind him. What is it with me and his sexy back?

"Can I help?" I whispered as he busied himself with stirring whatever was in the pan. I should do something else than stare at Mr. Sexy Back.

"It's almost done." he replied and I realized he simply reheated something from the fridge but it smelled really good.

Two minutes later, he served two plates of green pasta in front of me. I looked away immediately when his shirt lifted when he reached for wine glasses from the cupboard. I felt hot all of a sudden, my palms sweaty and chest pounding. It must be the heat from the stove. Ha! Of course it is. What else could it be?