Chapter Twenty-Five- Semestral Breaks and Student Loans

(use robot voice) Click on that star. Please click on that star. Right. Now. Thank. You.

Chapter Twenty-Five- Semestral Breaks and Student Loans

Nobody has ever said, as far as I knew, that dating was a walk in the park. If there was, I'd love to meet that person and ask for proof.

After four weeks, I have come to a realization that sometimes dating could be a sail in the storm, for a lack of better metaphor. I was aware that it wasn't all about kisses and hugs but a warning of what else it was about would've been nice. This is what I get for reading adventure stories instead of romance, zero knowledge of how a relationship works.

What made me make conclusions like these?

Exhibit A. The morning after my unexpected stage moment, Michael and I spent time together. It was all good. He made breakfast, I was bloated. We talked and laughed a lot. We teased each other with smart remarks as we lay down his gigantic couch. He made me wear clothes from his sister's clothing line. No big deal.

That afternoon, I came home to an empty boarding house. Everyone went on their way back home. It was early morning when Kyla called to say that she was already on her ten-hour bus ride to Ilocos Norte. She was excited to come home since she's been gushing about seeing her little sister, Gracie and the whole Domingo clan. They were another kind of specie.

Ali left for Pampanga by noon. I think her brother picked her up but she didn't sound too happy about it. She wanted to spend more time with Caleb before the break but she couldn't. Apparently, there's something going on between them now. Lisa, on the other hand, messaged me that her politician father sent a car for her so she didn't have to commute to Batangas.

"As if I was spending the last weeks of summer at home with a bunch of judgmental people a.k.a. my aunts and uncles. Eww." she told me. It turned out, Lisa had planned to spend our two-week semestral break in El Nido, Palawan. That being the case, she instructed the driver to take her to the airport for her 4 PM flight. "I need a beach getaway!" she exclaimed on the other line before inviting me to come with her. Images of white sand beaches and clear blue waters flashed in my head. It was tempting to say yes.

Of course, I declined. I had other plans for my semestral break which wasn't new. Work and save. Every sembreak, I had this flyering job from an ad agency and my full-time shift at Harlow.

Besides, I have another reason to stay.

Speaking of... Michael came up to the house with me. He noticed the silence and put two and two together. "You'll be alone here for two weeks?" he asked in a disapproving tone.

"No." I replied turning my face away from him.

"Madeleine."

"I won't be alone. There's Karen and Tina. They're..." I hesitated finishing my explanation because I knew where this was going. And I didn't like it. "Call center agents."

I've never really had a proper conversation with those two because they're asleep during the day for their job at night. We only said hi a couple of times when I just came home from the club and they were both on their way to work.

Michael narrowed his eyes at me. "What?"

"You alone here for two weeks with call center agents is like you alone."

"So what? I'll be at work for the rest of the day and night anyway and come home to sleep just like them. Besides, I've been doing it for four years. It doesn't matter if I'm alone."

"Of course it does. Your safety matters a lot."

I knew it! By the tone of his voice and the glint of mischief in his eyes, he was trying to imply something. I was sure of it. He was planning something in that handsome head of his.

This LoveOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara