❥ 30. Toska

Toska (noun)
The ache of soul; longing for nothing to long for.

♡♡

🎶 It's okay not to be okay

Happy Birthday”

The group screamed all together, at once as the door of the café opened, the lights turned on. The Girl twirled in shock overpowering the surprise. Her yellow t-shirt and sweats standing out among her dressed up friends, confetti shot in the air with loud clap, her palms cupped her face in surprise. The happiness radiating off her in waves as her friends cheered on her, Tears rolling down her cheeks as they engulfed her in a bone crushing hug. Receiving hundreds of happy wishes, tens of gifts and beautiful smiles.

“Her friends played her good” Daisy chuckled, passing her the carrier “Poor girl will hate her photos from today.”

Mahira smiled setting the last of decorative icing on the cake, glancing around the place decorated with blue and white balloons. Her made a check on the name and cake dressing, shrugging her palms indicating she was done.

“Beautiful” Daisy commented beaming, placing the cake on the trolley she gestured Shina to take it out towards the waiting party.

Another round of cheering was heard with words flowing “Best” “Cake” and “Wow” in middle. Mahira felt her smile widen in satisfaction. She passes a winning grin towards Asha Aunty who gestured of claps and smiled proudly.

Mahira laughed, bowing silently, playing the act.

She glanced out the window, glass blurred because of rain droplets, she rubbed the mist to see the roads wet and cars running around. Not a single one was a painted black and yellow or holding any cab company logo. She sighed tiredly and leaned against the wall to gaze out towards the dark grey clouds trapping all sources of light. It was almost night but the raining didn’t seem to stop.

Sakshi had dropped her to the Café on her way home early, in morning RV helped but now she was brainstorming ways to reach back that house.

Yes, House. She can’t just start calling that place home yet. It was too impersonal and cold to be called home. It hardly held any of her memories, their memories. They have been civil to each other in these past days, occasionally sharing words, a cup of morning tea and silent dinners with him engrossed in his phone and her stealing glances around.

That day, when she asked him if he cared for her, She wasn’t expecting him to blunt. His reply was heartbreaking but truth. She was content that he was straightforward and truthful to her, not caring how many bruises his words gave her but they were better than the twisting of words in a lie and let her suffer through slow poisoning. Lies were slow and deadly poison killing a soul each day a little until there is nothing to kill.