❥ 47. Dolent

Dolent (noun)
full of sorrow.

♡♡

It was trepidation

It was trepidation.

The sense of fear she was witnessing each time she paced to the length of the hall and back to the front door. The foreboding sense of some mishappening made her throat clog with anticipation and unease. It was so much to take that a glance at the clock made her throat gulp the last of its content. She avoided looking at it every time she wished to check for time.

No, it wasn't because it was too late. The last she checked, the small hand had hardly crossed eight. It was the news that Danish passed to her, well it wasn't news but a panic-stricken call to her that her husband was missing from his cabin which he had left destructed in the midst of his anger.

There was a reason why Veer was beyond angry and Danish hesitated telling her. She understood when he said that it was Veer's to tell and not his. What she could extract out of Danish was that he was kicked out of the said cabin by her husband who wanted space and silence.

But she never knew his silence was this destructive. When she witnessed the place herself, she couldn't swallow the extent of the damage his anger could do. She had seen blood splashes in the heap of broken glass and she felt worry clouding her heart.

Anger had the power to rule minds and often made humans act crazily. The brain was stripped down of any control and rationality. It was just the rage that ruled human actions.

Heaving a deep breath she clutched onto the sofa to stop the hammering of her heart and the overthinking brain of hers which was at its best trying to weave possible situations. Some more dangerous and dark than she had ever heard about.

"It is Veer." She tried to convince herself. "He is not stupid. He'll do nothing wrong. He is rational and knows how to manage his brain. He'll do no stupidity."

"Mahi" came a curious voice "Are you talking to yourself?"

"Mira" Mahira tried calming herself, playing normal "You hungry? I'll set dinner for you."

"No. I was thinking to eat with you and Bhai. He must be on his way home. It's past 8:30" Mira informed her plans.

Mahira tried smiling slowly, apologetically "H-he is going to be late today. He c-called."

"Oh" her face dropped a little, Mahira felt bad lying to her. "Then let's eat. You'll join me right?"

Mahira bit her lower lip, not wanting her to doubt her strange behavior. "Yeah. Let me set the table. Can you feed Jim till then?"

"Oh, my favorite part to do," Mira exclaimed. She was such a ball of energy, she brought liveliness packed with her wherever she went.
Mahira quickly busied herself with the task, the little minutes of engagement pushed her anxiousness back and she was able to tame her thoughts.