❥ 43. Verticordious

Verticordious (Adjective)
To turn the heart from evil.

♡♡

The door slam jerked her out of shock

The door slam jerked her out of shock. Bringing back the moments before when he acted so cold, so livid, so pained that her heart constricted feeling his distance in those moments. As if he teleported himself back to the past, being the same way.  Her eyes widened in realization and the urge to call behind him, stopping him made her lips part when a touch held her back. A touch so shaky as if holding onto her for life.

"Mahi" she mumbled, glancing towards the door where he just left "He left. Bhai was angry."

She gazed at Mira who seemed on the verge of tears. Mahira touched her palm and the girl clung to her for protection.

"It is fine. It's nothing. He's just angry. He'll be fine." she whispered, caressing her head, glancing at Ron who stared at nothing in particular, his face contorted in a certain bleak of disappointment, affliction, and absence. "Mira" the girl looked up. "Come we have guests waiting"

"He is livid," Ron mumbled unconsciously.

"I know." Mahira tried a shaky smile in reassurance. "Right now we should go to the dining area. Everyone is there. I'll go search for him later. "

"I...No" He was snapped out of his trance, and he took a shaky breath, shaking his head in rejection "Th... thank you for the invite. But I should leave"

"No" Mahira shook her head "You aren't leaving. Mira takes him to the dining area."

"You don't understand he hates my sight." Ron reasoned gritting. "I would have never stepped in if I knew he...He will see me. I remind him of things...things no one wishes to be reminded of. The scenes are near to disgust." He rubbed the corners of his eyes, taking a calming breath he tried saying again. "Don't stop me, please. I shouldn't be here"

"You are here and now you have a chance to straighten out things. I don't know what happened but don't you need a chance to speak to him?" he nodded sighing "Go with her and eat something. Please" She added seeing his conflicted eyes. She turned to Mira, squeezing her hand needing backup.

"Yeah. D...Don't go" Mira glanced back, the chatters loud and growing. "They'll get doubtful if we don't go now."

Mahira held his arm and pushed a little to make him walk. She willed herself to act normal, smile and get back to faking. Convincing wouldn't be that difficult, she did these things before.

There were around 10 of her colleague, Apoorva, and Ranveer. Thus adding two chairs to the dining table of 6 and shifting couches made sitting organized. Sakshi, Yusra, and Vandita were sitting on the kitchen island stools chatting dramatically, Vandita narrating se tale with all flying hands and gestures which came to a hold when her eyes stopped at Ron. She took a double take and gasped, followed by others.