The Rebellious Adoption

Years of staying in the orphanage, it eventually became her home.
Katarina really enjoyed herself, playing around with the other orphaned children. People may show sympathy towards her and the other children there, but they were happy with living and playing together.
The caretaker suddenly gathered all of them in the main room one day.
"Now, tomorrow, we're having a visitor," the caretaker said with a smile. "I want all of you to be at your best behaviour. Can you do that?"
The children echoed a yes, much to the caretaker's joy.
"Okay kids, let's have our lunch!" The caretaker announced. "Let's all go to the dining room."
So they all awaited their guest. If there were guests, there came donations. And if there came donations, there came NEW STUFF!
And free food, of course.

The children gathered on the lawn to welcome their new guest. The caretaker stood nearby, awaiting the guest's arrival.
At last, a black Lexus LS arrived and parked on the driveway. The driver-side door opened and a rather tall man stepped out. Katarina thought he was a giant.
"Welcome, sir," the caretaker smiled. She turned to the children. "Kids, greet our new guest, Mr. Cosmo."
The children did, earning a smile from the tall man.
"Good to see you too, kids," the man smiled, carrying a rather large bag of things.
The caretaker led him in, looking as if she was a child next to the big man. Katarina went with the other kids and followed them, hoping to receive something good.
The man started distributing sweets and toys to them, much to their joy. Katarina went too and eagerly waited for her turn. When it finally came, the man smiled at her and gave her gifts.
"Thank you!" Katarina beamed.
She ran off and started comparing whatever she got with whatever her friends got, her light urban pigtails bouncing wildly as she leapt about. The man watched her, his smile slowly faltering. He went to the caretaker and spoke something to her.
Before Katarina knew it, she was called for.
"Katarina, you are being adopted," the caretaker smiled. "You no longer have to live here, you're gonna have your own home!"
Katarina looked at her in surprise. "Are you sending me away? Why?"
"Because you're being adopted, honey," the caretaker said with a gentle smile. "By Mr. Cosmo Alves. He's a very kind man, I'm sure you'll like him."
Katarina looked over at where she pointed and saw the gigantic man that had just given her gifts. He smiled and came towards her.
"Do you want to come with me?" He asked gently.
Katarina frowned. "I want to stay here, with my friends. I want to play!"
The caretaker gave Cosmo a gentle smile before turning back to the little girl. "Katarina, please go with him. He is a nice man. He will be like your father."
Katarina scowled. "My father is dead!"
The caretaker turned back to Cosmo. "Her parents died when she was very young, Mr. Alves," she explained. "She has been here as far as she could remember."
"It's alright, I'll still bring her here often," Cosmo kindly said. "She can still come to meet her friends."
The caretaker turned back to Katarina. "Is that okay?"
Katarina frowned and didn't say anything. The caretaker smiled and prepared for the necessary procedures for the adoption. Soon, Katarina was to be sent away with Cosmo.
"But I really don't want to go!" Katarina cried to the other kids while packing up what little things she had. "I want to stay with you guys!"
Everyone started crying with her. The caretaker shook her head and helped Katarina pack before bringing her out to Cosmo.
"You may take her now," the caretaker smiled, practically handing the little girl over to him. "She may get a little feisty, but she's a sweetheart."
Cosmo chuckled and took her by the hand. "Let's go to our home now."
Katarina looked down and had no choice but to follow him. She turned her head and gave the orphanage one last look before getting into the car. Even as they drove away, she never took her eyes away from the orphanage until it disappeared from view.
Cosmo smiled and took the exit to enter the main road. "You're gonna like your new home, I assure you."
Katarina said nothing, sulking silently in a corner of the car. Cosmo just chuckled, knowing full well that he won't be able to win over her heart that easily.

"This is your new home," Cosmo smiled, leading her into the house by her hand. The little girl took her surroundings in as she walked alongside Cosmo. "Do you like it?"
Katarina grunted in reply and followed him.
"This is the dining hall, the bathroom, the kitchen," Cosmo showed her one by one. "And your room, is this way."
He took her up the steps and led her to a room. He opened the door for her and brought her in. Katarina looked around the room, it was as if it hadn't been cleaned for a bit.
"I know, it doesn't look as good now, but I'll have it ready for you by tonight," Cosmo promised. "But do you like it?"
Katarina said nothing. She shifted nervously from one leg to another. Cosmo sighed and brought her downstairs.
"Sit here until I clean your room," Cosmo said. "After that, we can go out for dinner together."
Katarina nodded slowly and sat down on the couch. Cosmo smiled and turned the television on. He switched the television to the cartoon channel before handing her the remote. Katarina was kinda amazed to find her favourite cartoons here, despite being in a different place.
So she watched as Cosmo disappeared up the steps to clean up the rather messy room. Katarina wondered why the place looked like it hadn't been touched in so long, and why it was fully set up like a little girl's room.
Cosmo soon came down, after an hour or so, and brought Katarina out for dinner.
"Order whatever you want," Cosmo smiled, handing her the menu.
'This is the first time I get to choose what to eat...' Katarina's eyes shined when she saw the variety of food on the menu.
But sadly, she had no idea what to order and had to receive help from Cosmo instead. She still liked the food, though.
"So... why did you adopt me?" Katarina asked as she ate.
Cosmo looked up from his food and smiled at her. "Because I felt like you are my daughter."
Katarina frowned. "That doesn't make any sense. You only saw me once today!"
Cosmo shrugged. "That's what it felt like, so I adopted you. I'll take you shopping tomorrow for new clothes. And then I'll enrol you to a school."
"School?" Katarina looked surprised. "But I did all my classes in the orphanage. You're not gonna send me there?"
Cosmo shook his head. "No. I'll send you to a different school. But we can visit the orphanage whenever we can. Okay?"
Katarina scowled and said nothing, picking at her food.
They spent the rest of the day in their rooms. Katarina found her new room rather strange. It was as if the man that just adopted her had been awaiting her arrival.