A surprise

A/N: Alright this took place during the events of the first book. I realised I didn't write it. It was because I didn't know that this day was Jin's birthday at the time. Anyways, I hope you enjoy!

5th August 2019
Jin finally returned to his penthouse after a day of informing everyone about the two-week holiday he'll be taking from next week.
He entered his home and locked the door.
"I'm home!" Jin called as he took his shoes off.
But he got no reply.
That was a little strange since he would always hear one of his moms' or Lars's voice in return.
Puzzled, he tossed his shoes onto the shoe rack and went around his home to investigate. He looked everywhere for his family members, but found no one.
'Maybe they went to get dinner?' Jin thought.
Well, this was unlikely since either of his mom would always prepare something for dinner at home. But he thought that it was the best explanation.
He just brushed the thought aside and went to his bathroom to take a shower after a long day at work. He tossed his clothes into the laundry basket and gratefully stepped into the shower to melt away the stress he had had during work.
After that, he decided to just watch television, waiting for the rest of his family to return.
Then he heard keys jingle in the lock. He looked up to see the knob moving. He figured that it might be the rest of his housemates. Besides, he knew how to distinguish the different sound of keys each of his family members had. The sound now told him that it was his mother's key ring.
But to his surprise, a different face appeared.
Kazuya Mishima. The man who he'd openly deny was his father despite it was the truth.
"You..." Jin said, standing up and pointing an accusing finger at his father. "How did you get in? The house is fingerprint-locked! How did you get mom's keys? What did you do to mom and Lars?!"
He ran to him and grabbed him by his collar, his face red with anger. But Kazuya didn't even say anything. All he did was smirk.
"Why are you smiling?!" Jin demanded. "What's so funny?! What did you do to them?!"
To his surprise, Kazuya gently pushed him off, confusing him.
"Jin..."
"What?!" Jin spat back.
"Happy Birthday to you..."
"What?"
Jin opened the door wider to see what's going on.
To his surprise, Jun walked towards him, a large cake with twenty-three lit candles in her hands. Amber and Lars were behind her, recording Jin's reaction.
They walked in while singing Happy Birthday. Jin just stood there, speechless.
Kazuya joined into the song as he closed the door.
Jun went towards the coffee table and laid the cake on it, still singing Happy Birthday.
"Happy birthday, dear Jin, Happy Birthday to you..."
Jin just stood there, gaping.
"Make a wish," Jun said, motioning towards the cake.
Jin just nodded and went towards the cake.
'I wish to never lose my family again,' Jin wished before blowing out the candles.
The others clapped when Jin successfully blew all twenty-three candles in one blow.
Jun handed him a knife to cut the cake. Jin did and served it to the others.
"How did you guys know?" Jin asked. "I don't never told anyone, besides mom, especially not to Kazuya."
"I remembered," Jun said with a smile. "I told your father and he planned all of this."
"You planned all of this?" Jin asked, turning to his father with a raised eyebrow.
"Well, as soon as Jun told me, I went and got you a cake," Kazuya said, smirking. "Then I came straight here."
"I didn't expect he'd come with a cake," Jun said a warm smile on her face. "But then we went to the dojo to prepare the candles and stuff."
"Happy birthday, Jin," Kazuya said, patting his son's back. "Didn't expect this now, did you?"
"No," Jin said, swatting Kazuya's hand away. "But thanks anyway."
Then he just turned and walked away. Kazuya looked really broken. Jun grimaced at her son's behaviour, but truly understood why he was like that. She put a reassuring hand on her husbands shoulder.
"Don't worry, Kazuya," Jun said, giving his broad shoulder a comforting squeeze. "He'll grow close soon, don't worry."
Kazuya nodded with a sad look.
"Would he come to Yakushima next week?" Kazuya asked. "He knows we're going to Yakushima right?"
"Not yet," Jun said. "But he's definitely coming. He told everyone that he would be on a two-week holiday starting from next week. He even arranged for Lars to be the CEO while he's gone."
"That's right, Kazuya," Lars said, entering the conversation. "I'll take care of everything here. Jin would come with you, no problem there."
Kazuya nodded.
"Well, I guess I'll be going now," Kazuya said, getting up. "Goodbye, guys. Take care."
"Kazuya, why don't you stay for dinner at least?" Jun offered.
"No, Jun," Kazuya said, giving her a hug. "I need to go. My chefs would've already prepared dinner for me. Wouldn't want the food to go to waste right?"
Jun sighed and nodded.
"Drive safe, okay?" Jun said, giving Kazuya one last hug before he left. "Text me once you reach home, okay?"
Kazuya waved at them before leaving. Jun walked with him to his car in the basement parking lot. The Tekken Force didn't allow him to enter at first and Jun had to stop them. Jin had given her just as much authority as he had there.
Kazuya drove back to the G Corp building where he lived. It was a long drive and it took even longer because of the traffic.
To make matters worse, it was a rainy night.
Kazuya sighed as he leaned back in the seat, waiting for the traffic to disperse, listening to some Jazz Rock music from the radio and maybe seeing his phone from time to time. He was beginning to regret declining Jun's offer of having dinner there.
But then there was Jin. His sour gaze whenever he caught sight of his father was enough for even Kazuya himself shudder. He never had this feeling before, and he was confused at why he suddenly felt that way now.
His hunger started getting the better of him. But he also felt something else.
The devil within him was... going. He felt something growing inside of him. Something powerful, something beautiful, something... divine.
It was love. Love towards his wife. Love towards his family. He suddenly felt love towards his son, Jin. He felt a certain kinship towards Lars too. And even towards his adoptive brother that he always hated.
What was happening to him? He didn't know. But he certainly liked this new feeling.
He finally arrived home and texted Jun about his safe arrival. He freshened up and ate what his chefs served him. The food was good and all, but it could never beat food made of true love.
Kazuya missed his mother's cooking dearly. It had been more than forty years since he had last tasted the food prepared by her loving hands. He also missed Jun's cooking.
He saw his mother in her, how she would love him just the way Kazumi did when she was alive. How she cared for him, how she took care of him.
But of course, he never actually knew the actual truth of why Heihachi took her life.
He also longed to spend time with Jun, and maybe even Jin. Not alone and miserable in this luxuriously lonely penthouse. Though it had a billion-dollar view of Tokyo, it never had the love that money couldn't buy.
He looked forward to the trip to Yakushima he was going with the Kazamas the following week.
"One more week," Kazuya said to himself as he finished his dinner. "One more week and we're in Yakushima."
He really looked forward to that trip.
Jun did too. She hoped that this trip would help end the feud between the Mishimas.

Lee came to visit Jin later that night. They were surprised to see a helicopter flying towards the Mishima Zaibatsu building, landing on the helipad overhead.
Next thing they knew, Lee was knocking on their door, holding a gift hamper. He was allowed in since Jin told the Tekken Force to let him in whenever he wanted to visit.
"Happy birthday, Spiky Junior," Lee said, laying the hamper down next to the coffee table. "So you're twenty-three now?"
"Yeah I am," Jin said, slightly annoyed. "By the way, who's Spiky Senior?"
"Your father, duh," Lee simply said. "Anyways, I've gotta go now. Bye guys. Bye Lars. See you guys next time."
And with that, he literally moonwalked out of the penthouse, shutting the door in front of him.
"I guess he was born on the right day of the year, sharing his birthday with Michael Jackson," Jun said, amused. "Right, Jin? Jin?"
Jin looked a little enraged. He didn't like it when someone compared him to his father. No matter how strong the resemblances were, he didn't want to be compared with him. Never.
"Jin, I know you're mad," Jun said, rubbing his back gently. "But no one can change the fact that he's your father, right?"
Jin closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He nodded with his eyes still closed.
He went back to his room and started pondering about what it would be like if Kazuya actually lived with him as another member of the family. Would it be weird? Would it be fun? Would it be aggravating?
He kinda shuddered at the thought of spending two weeks with him in who-knows-where. The fact that his mom was coming along provided some form comfort for him.
He prayed that he wouldn't have to go, especially not with Kazuya. But all things of the future would one day become present, and then left behind as past.
He had to face it.