The decision

Adam had heard that Nina was now in Tokyo, Japan. He set off as soon as he heard the news and thought about dropping by to see his old friend, Alisa Bosconovitch. She and her father moved to Japan to attend a very good university there.
Of course, he told his parents about it, but didn't tell them about Nina.
"Be safe, okay?" His mother warned. "I heard there's a dangerous company there. I heard they even do dangerous experiments!"
Adam assured that he wouldn't go anywhere near it. Well, he didn't tell her that he was gonna do just that.
He took a flight to Tokyo and landed there. He took a taxi to the address that Alisa had given him a few years ago. He hoped that she still lived there now.
So he arrived at the address and looked up at the run-down home in front of him, a rucksack slung on one shoulder.
'Is this where Alisa lives?' Adam thought as he reached for the doorbell.
He found that it didn't work and knocked on the door instead. But to his surprise, the door moved as soon as his knuckles touched the wood.
"Alisa?" Adam called, making his way into the house. "Doctor B? Is anyone home?"
He slowly walked into the house, taking in its dark, unmaintained atmosphere. Is this really Alisa's home? His high school friend? As far as he knew, she was a very neat and tidy girl. She wouldn't keep quiet if her house looked like this.
Deciding that he's in the wrong house, he turned around and decided to leave. He stopped short as he saw someone standing there with a coffee cup in his hand.
Adam couldn't really see him in the poorly lit room. He squinted his eyes a little and made out a familiar haggard looking man.
"Doctor B?" Adam called to confirm. "Is that you?"
"Who are you?" The man called in a hoarse voice. "What are you doing in my house?"
"Doctor Bosconovitch, it's me," Adam said, looking for a switch or something. He found none and decided to just ask the owner about it. "Could you turn the lights on?"
The older man did and quickly blinked his eyes at the sudden light. Adam finally saw what his old friend looked like.
He looked old, older than he already was. His hair had thinned out so much that there was only some left at the back of his head. Even that was a a frizzy mess.
"Adam?" Doctor Bosconovitch called, recognising the blond young man in front of him. "What are you doing here?"
"I came to pay you and Alisa a visit," Adam said. "Where is she?"
"You don't know?" Doctor Bosconovitch asked blankly.
Adam shook his head in reply. Oh no, what had happened to his old friend?
"She died a few years ago," Doctor Bosconovitch painfully admitted. "Someone poisoned her when I refused to work for them."
"Who would do such a thing?" Adam asked in surprise. "Alisa was such a nice girl! She would never even think about hurting anyone!"
"I know..." the doctor agreed. "But Heihachi had other plans. He's forcing me to work for him now. But I only agreed to because I need his equipment to work on a way to resurrect her."
"You're trying to bring her back?!" Adam asked in shock. "But that's impossible!"
"Anything is possible with Science, Adam," Doctor Bosconovitch replied with a slight smile. "Nothing is impossible if we tried."
"Doctor B..." Adam said, sympathising his condition. "You need help."
"I know I'm a mess now, but I'm completely alright," the doctor said untruthfully.
"No you're not," Adam said. "Those eye bags must weigh a ton. That coffee you're drinking clearly shoes that you're depending on coffee to stay awake instead. Doctor, you need a doctor."
The old doctor refused profusely and insisted that he was alright. The doctor knew that he needed to distract Adam to keep him pestering him any longer.
"You want to follow me to work?" Doctor Bosconovitch asked. "It's pretty high-tech. You like that kinda stuff, don't you?"
Adam hesitated but eventually agreed. Come on, who wouldn't want a free tour in a high-tech science lab that looked straight out of a sci-fi movie?
So he followed the old doctor in his old jalopy. Adam felt really sorry for the older man's condition. He was clearly shattered after the death of his beautiful young daughter. Who wouldn't be? She was an innocent, cheerful, happy young girl that helped anyone in need. Of course, she had her share of mischief when she coated Adam's face with makeup when he was fast asleep, but who could stay mad at her?
He silently mourned for his old friend throughout the ride to wherever this old doctor worked at. He was surprised when the old man stopped in front of a building named Mishima Zaibatsu.
Wait a second... he has heard of the name somewhere. But where...? Was it on the news? He definitely heard of it somewhere.
The old doctor led him in and towards a flight of stairs. They went down a few flights and arrived at a dim room only illuminated by a blue hue.
"What is this place?" Adam asked, looking around.
"It's a lab that the Mishima Zaibatsu owns," Doctor Bosconovitch stated. "We carry out all kinds of experiments here."
He led him to a room full of covered chambers. Adam felt a chill run down his spine. Something told him that there were people inside those chambers.
The doctor led him to a one of the chambers, set at the back. The old doctor typed some commands on a small keypad. It opened, revealing a glass chamber.
Adam's eyes widened as he placed his palms on the glass, staring at the person inside it in surprise and sadness.
It was Alisa! Or at least, it was Alisa's shell.
Her lifeless body lay inside, pale and emotionless. Her lips were slightly blue while her skin was white.
"Alisa..." Adam murmured. "How I hate to see you like this."
He couldn't prevent a tear from escaping his eye when he saw his old friend like this. She was such a fun and happy girl that made everyone's day. And there she was now, dead and lifeless.
"Is this a mortuary?" Adam asked, looking up at the doctor. "Please, I don't want to be here."
"Don't worry, Adam, she's the only one here that's dead," the doctor said, much to his surprise. "The rest are still alive and healthy!"
He closed that chamber and walked over to another chamber and opened that instead. A blonde woman lay inside. Adam was even more surprised now.
"Nina?!" Adam cried, fearing that she suffered the same fate as Alisa. "What happened to her?"
"You know her?" The doctor asked, equally surprised.
"Yeah!" Adam cried, turning toward him. "She was my girlfriend back in college! Who did this to her?"
"She's been put to cryosleep," the doctor explained. "She isn't dead, she's just frozen in age, that's all."
"Frozen in age?" Adam asked in disbelief. "Does this mean that she stays young as long as she's in here?"
The doctor nodded an affirmative.
"Her sister is here too," the doctor said. "Do you know her too?"
Adam nodded slowly. How could he not know her? She kept tagging along with Nina whenever they went on dates together.
"Why are they like this?" Adam couldn't help but ask.
"They volunteered themselves for the experiment," the old doctor said. "Heihachi wanted to create an army of super soldiers and he wants Nina's genes to be used in the creation."
"Does she know about it?" Adam asked. "I mean... it's not like her to just agree for something like this. Besides, why Nina's genes?"
"She's a very skilful assassin," Doctor Bosconovitch said, much to Adam's surprise. "Her combat skills would be very useful in the creation of super soldiers."
"Assassin?" Adam said in surprise. "Is that what Nina's been doing now? Oh my god..."
"She is very skilful," Doctor Bosconovitch replied. "But she only kills people for the greater good. Like, she only kills bad people."
Adam looked back at Nina inside the cryosleep chamber. Is that what she's been doing after she graduated college? How times have changed.
And now she was gonna have a child. He thought about it. The love of his life was frozen in age. She was gonna have a child with some unknown man. How could he let himself age she when she stayed young?
"Who's gonna be the father?" Adam asked.
"We're still searching for a donor," Doctor Bosconovitch replied. "Nina's genes haven't been fertilised yet."
"I volunteer," Adam said without a second thought. "I also want to be put into cryosleep."
The old doctor looked at him in surprise.
"Why?" The doctor asked.
"Because I wanna be with Nina," Adam simply said. "Something happened in the past and... she still hasn't forgiven me for it. So I might as well wait for her to forgive me."
"But you'll be frozen in age!" The doctor retorted. "Adam, cryosleep is not to be taken lightly. Some of our test subjects have even died during the process. There's no guarantee that you'll ever come back alive!"
"Let it be," Adam said. "If Nina's taking the risk, why can't I? Besides, you said her genes are gonna be used right? I want to at least have a child with her."
"Adam... there's no telling if your baby would survive," the old doctor said. "The child is gonna be used in ruthless experiments! The little thing might even die!"
"I want my child to be safe from these experiments," Adam said finally. "I want you to make sure that the child is safe and happy."
The old doctor thought for a moment. He begrudgingly agreed to put him into cryosleep.
"I don't know how long you would be in there," Doctor Bosconovitch warned before putting him to sleep. "But I will revive you when the sisters wake up too."
Adam nodded.
"Goodbye for now, Adam," the doctor said, putting him to cold sleep. "You would wake up young when everyone else have aged."
That was the last thing Adam saw before drifting off into a cold sleep. As promised, the old doctor had his genes fertilised with Nina's through in-vitro fertilisation.
A baby boy was soon born. He looked just like Nina but inherited Adam's hair colour. Doctor Bosconovitch tried to bring the child away to safety, but failed. The scientists got hold of him and performed experiments on him as he grew into a toddler. This was because he was the only survivor from the project.
But luckily, Doctor Bosconovitch met up with another doctor that worked with the project. Emma Kliesen.
"I can't bear to see the little boy being tortured like that," Emma said. "He's just a little boy! I try to get him away from those idiots, but somehow, they find him again. He should be in a kindergarten, not in a lab!"
"Do you know who he actually is?" Doctor Bosconovitch asked. Emma shook her head, confused. "He is Nina's son."
Emma's eyes grew wide when she heard that.
"No wonder he looked very familiar!" Emma realised. "He looks just like her!"
The old doctor smiled. It was a tired and regretful smile.
"His father wanted him to be safe, but sadly..." the doctor said, shaking his head. "Heihachi wouldn't hear of it."
Emma made a plan.
"Don't worry, I'll get him out of here," Emma said, determined. "But I need your help."
Emma told him of the plan and Doctor Bosconovitch agreed to help her.

Emma Kliesen had faked the little boy's death with the help of Doctor Bosconovitch and allowed him to run away. The little boy, whom she named Steve, ran off to an orphanage and settled himself there.
He somehow lied that he was physically abused and admitted himself there.
"What is your name, kid?" They asked him.
"It's Steve," the little boy said.
"Last name?"
He thought about it. He didn't have one. So he decided to just make one up.
"Fox," he said.
And soon, he was one of them. He met with other children his age and enjoyed playing around with them.
But he still wanted a family. What was it like to have actual parents?
All he had was a picture of him with Emma. She was the only one that actually treated him like a normal child.
He was soon adopted by British parents while his own parents were frozen in age.

After nineteen years, Adam finally awakened. The first thing he saw was Doctor Bosconovitch looking down at him. He looked a lot older than he did before.
"It's been nineteen years," the old doctor said. "How does it feel to not age for that long?"
"So you're saying that I'm actually forty-one, but I'm actually still twenty-two?!" Adam screamed in surprise.
"Yep," the doctor simply. "You've missed out almost twenty decades, Adam."
Okay now Adam was panicking.
"What happened in the last twenty years?!" Adam asked.
"Nothing much besides technological upgrades," Doctor Bosconovitch said. "Oh and Heihachi has a grandson. He's about the same age as your son too."
"Son?" Adam said, surprised. "Where is he now? What does he look like? Can I see him?"
The doctor looked down for a moment. He hesitated to reply.
"He died," the old man finally said. "He died in one of the experiments."
Adam felt sad. He never knew what this son of his even looked like, and now this doctor is telling him that he died.
"Why was he used in the experiments?" Adam asked the doctor. "I thought you said he would be safe?"
"Heihachi had other plans," Doctor Bosconovitch said. "That poor child died as a baby. He died an instant death."

So now Adam was left roaming around the streets of Tokyo. What was he to do now?
He decided to go to Yokohama and work in a company there. Doctor Bosconovitch had made arrangements for him to stay there so he had no issue.
But one day, he found a letter in his postbox. It had evidently been delivered manually since there was no address, no stamp and no sender's address. All it had was his name written on it.
Adam tore it open and put on his reading glasses. For some reason, he developed long-sightedness after he awoke from cryosleep. He read the short note in surprise.

Your son isn't dead. He is alive and well somewhere else. Do not look for him as it would only endanger him and your own safety. But one day he will find you, no one can change that.

It wasn't signed and Adam was left to wonder about the sender.