Chapter 2

'Sonder - The concept that every stranger is living a life as complex as your own. You pass thousands of people daily, their secrets hidden by simply being part of the crowd. But now... I can see the mark. Every 'X' raises more questions than answers.. and gives me more opportunities to meet my quota.'

    The woman stands aside, hiding her face in the red bandana tied around her neck to hide her face from the cold of the night. She watches people walk down the street, the majority of them having a red X on their chest, indicating that they have sinned.

    'No one even notices me, everyone is so wrapped up in their own problems... Even though... I look ridiculous.' She looked down at her outfit, thinking back to when she was in Hell.

"What.. Is with this terrible outfit..?" She asked, looking at herself. "That outfit was designed by an entire team of experienced professionals!" She glared at him. "Tell your team it looks like garbage." "If you don't like it you can wear our second design - the inspiration was 'Sexy Catgirl!'" Her glare hardened the more he spoke. "What am I, some kind of doll?"

     Her mind returns to her present situation in the waking world.

    "No, wait, why do I even care about that?! This situation I'm in is really fucking severe! I'm still not sure if this is real, am I dreaming?! She grabs each side of her hood and pulls it forward, not noticing the man that had appeared behind her.

    "What did he say I have to do again? One a day? How do I even start?!" Listening to her talk to herself, the man smiled slightly. "And where am I gonna find a-" The man cut her sentence off, trying to get her attention. "Hi?" Her head whipped around to face him, a surprised scream escaping her. He chuckled and scratched the back of his head. "Wow, you were pretty wrapped up in thought there, huh?"

     She looked at him. He had white hair and was in a pretty normal outfit with a really pastel blue T-shirt. "Oh, yeah... I was just thinking about my... Boss..." He took on an anxious demeanor.

     "Ah! Anyway, I saw you hanging out and you didn't look busy, and uh, maybe if you wanted to, erm, go catch a bite with me?" She eyes him. 'This guy...' She eyed his sinner's mark which was very noticeable on his light shirt. 'Does not look like a sinner.'

    "Sure, let's go." She says, walking by the man. He stands, before following her. 'I have to find out more..'  She thought to herself, before finding a food place to eat at.

    They ended up agreeing to eat at a ramen food place. "Thanks for agreeing to come out with me! My name is Jordan by the way, what's yours?" She pauses, looking at the ramen placed in front of her. Shit. "My name?... Of course, I have one of those..." She hadn't really thought about a name yet, and couldn't remember her own from when she was still alive. Jordan sat patiently, waiting for a response.

   'Grim. No. Cross. Is that a name? Reaper... Ah... Uh..' She looked at the red X on Jordan's chest. "Scarlet!" She says, sounding unexpectedly loud and frantic. There was another pause of silence between the pair. "Wow, Scarlet? That's a beautiful name!" He complimented. "Oh, uh, thanks.." She said, unsurely.

  He really fell for that?

   Jordan started to try and start conversation. "So, you were mumbling about your boss earlier, what was that about?" "Oh, yeah, my... Boss... I guess, to phrase it frankly, he gave me a lot of work with a ridiculous deadline... And is threatening to... Fire me. If I don't finish it. Honestly, I'm wondering if what he told me to do is even possible."

Jordan slurped a noodle. "Wow, I got lucky. You're a really strong person, aren't you?" She stares at him, narrowing her eyes. 'I... Don't see how this guy is a sinner.'

    After they ate, they decided to take a walk around the city. "And he can be pretty annoying too, especially when I gave him a program that works perfectly and he tells me it's broken!" Jordan explained. "That's irritating. Clearly, the problem is on his end," Scarlet stated. "That's what I'm saying! But because he's my manager, I can't talk back!"

    As he finished his statement, a different man bumped into Scarlet. He had red glasses and blonde hair, and tripped, before standing up and fixing his glasses. He and Scarlet looked at each other in the eye for a few seconds before somebody called out, "Chase!" The man, who Scarlet now knew was named Chase, turned around.  "C-coming!" He ran towards the person who yelled for him. She turned away from him, back to Jordan. That man also had a Sinners mark.

   'Why does everyone sinners look so innocent? There must be some kind of mistake..' 

     Jordan pulled out his cellphone, checking the time. "Woah, it's almost midnight! Time really does fly when you're having fun!" A voice came into Scarlet's mind. "Did you forget about our little deal? One. Sinner. Per. Day." Satan.

    "My place is nearby, if you want to crash on the couch, you can!" Jordan piped up, reminding Scarlet of his presence. "No, it's alright. Just... Walk me home." She mumbled, brushing past him and walking down a dark alleyway. "Huh? Oh, sure, no problem..." They walked further down the alley.

     'I... Don't want to kill him. He's done nothing wrong. This isn't fair. This isn't fucking fair. But.. If I don't.." Her mind went back to herself in the ninth circle. 'No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. You win, Satan. I'll kill him.' She turns around, using her power to make a scythe, and aimed it toward him.

(Revised and checked for errors and mistakes: yes, once.)

Words : 994