Chapter 32

Chase and Scarlet walked in a comfortable silence towards a huge house.

      "Prior to being removed from the force, I downloaded the entire criminal registry off of the government servers. It contains every case submitted to the police department from its inception to my dismissal." Chase held up the phone for Scarlet to see. There was an old guy on the screen and all his information next to it.

      The reason most of these cases are dismissed is the same reason that getting these files was so easy... The police force is incompetent."

      Scarlet knocked on the door twice. The door opened and a lady was standing there. She must have been a maid because of her outfit, but she was very pretty. Her hands were elegantly together in front of her. "...Hello. The master is going to sleep shortly."

     Scarlet sprinted forward, quickly taking the lady into a headlock. "Huh-" Scarlet squeezed her enough and she passed out, so she set her on the floor gently.

     "The first case we'll be 'investigating' is one that I was looking into before it was dismissed. The suspect in this one bribed a few higher-ups to suspend the investigation indefinitely. I have no doubt in my mind that he is guilty. But for some other cases, the truth might be a bit more complicated."

     They continued walking farther into the mansion, and there was an old guy ahead of the hallway they were in.

     This case will be a good test run. Before deciding if you should reap them, let them explain their circumstances. Since even if I think they are guilty and you tell me they have a sinner's mark, it doesn't take circumstances into account. So if they tell us a reason that would justify the mark, such as perhaps killing someone who assaulted them... ..Then we'll let them live."

     There was a crunch as Scarlet pushed the man down to the floor, her boot on his face. She stood over him. He had a sinners mark, and he was creepy-looking. And bald. "Wha- who are you? What do you want?!"

     "William Fischer. I was assigned to your case years ago. You've scammed thousands of people out of every cent they own. Your investment scam was a total fraud. You specifically targeted desperate and poor people, promising them millions to bail them out of their situation if they gave you everything they owned. This is your single chance to explain yourself.

      "I mean... the idea of lettings them explain themselves is good and all...But what if they just lie? Yes. That will happen. That's what I'll be there for. I'll be able to tell you if what they're saying is true or not, based on their voice and body language. I'll be the brains and you're the brawn, basically."

      "I-I mean when you say it that way it sounds like I'm evil! I'm not, really! I'm just a businessman!" He turned his head. "L-Listen, I didn't lose their money intentionally! I'm just a bad investor, I was in over my head. I'm a good man, please! I had t find a way to make money to support my family! I-I'll even give you money, if that's what you want! Don't hurt me!"

     Scarlet glanced at Chase from behind her. "According to your case file, you don't have any immediate family. And even if you did, it doesn't justify it. Your actions definitely had a domino effect... I wonder how many people starved? Died from lack of medical care? Killed themselves? I think you deserve to die."

     "Of course, I am just a detective. You are the Grim Reaper. I'll present my opinion, but you are the one who should decide if they deserve to die or not. After all... You're ultimately the one killing them."

     Scarlet was quiet for a moment, as if thinking, before her hand came out and she formed her scythe, blade up. "I'll see you in Hell." She brought down the handle of the scythe to his face, stabbing and killing him.

     "Since I know the address and personal details of every suspect, it should be very easy to get us alone with them. Using this method... It'll be extremely simple to get you one sinner a day. There are thousands of cases, so we won't be running out anytime soon. But, by the time we do... Hopefully, by then I'll have solved case X, and gotten back on the team. I haven't forgotten about it. We're partners now. We'll figure it out together. Using both of our skillsets... One by one... We will cleanse this world of filth."

"TFW murder is your new job" - Graveweaver

Revised and checked for errors: yes, once

words: 793