Chapter 69

"Ahh~ More boring sinners," Satan said in dismay. You kept your eyes on the floor, chewing on the inside of your cheek. "You know, things were much more interesting when you brought me all those people who sinned to save family members or whatever. But now it's just a bunch of ol' baddies, no room to guilt them or anything... Ah~, disappointing~."

You glanced at Brook, and he was looking up at Satan. You followed his eyes. Satan had his back to both of you as he spoke. "It really isn't too bad though~, because I'm in a good mood. Being Satan is the best! Hahaha! Looking at these sinner's faces before they're sentenced is sooo priceless." You rolled your eyes, just about ready to tune him out as he sang in about how he loved being Satan.

"Yeah. Satan." Brook said sharply from beside you. Satan turned to look over his shoulder. "Brook? What could possibly be more important than my fun little song?" Brook stuffed his gloved hands in his pockets and you messed with the end of your shirt.

"Where is Scarlet?" You both said at the same time. You didn't bother to look at him, and he didn't glance your way either. Satan smiled. "You just noticed she's been gone? It's been a few years at this point..." Brook narrowed his eyes. "We live in the mortal world. We go by mortal time." "It's only been two days." You said sharply, trying not to raise your voice.

"I've always been able to smell her. The red demon. But it's faded ever since a few days ago. Deer asked her friend and he said that she left without a trace. They were in his room when she disappeared, even though the door was still locked. So obviously you did something with her."

You stuffed your shoe into the dirt again, eyes scanning Satan's face for any hint of where she could be. What he had possibly done to her. He leaned forward.

"I sent her back to the Ninth Level of Hell... Because she so stubbornly refused to kill that Chase boy, even though I gave her direct orders to." You both inhaled sharply and Brook's eyes widened. "You sent her back?" You asked. You were shocked at how hard it was to keep your voice steady.

You hadn't even known her for very long. The most you had spoken to her was when Chase and Brook had left to speak about whatever it was they had, and you and Scarlet were left alone. And you spoke. About the first sinners either of you had killed, the warped way the sinner's system worked, and you admitted that even if you had been a reaper for over a hundred mortal years, it didn't stop affecting you when the person actually wasn't an awful sinner who seriously hurt someone and had no remorse. When it was just a teenager who stole from stores to pay for his mother's medication, or someone who killed another in self-defense.

Satan smirked. "Sure did. And honestly, it's all thanks to you, Brook." You glanced at Brook. He looked confused. "You're the one that told me she was fond of that mortal, after all. It ended up being very valuable information. Superb, even, to maximize her suffering."

He probably didn't do it on purpose, judging by that look on his face. Or he didn't think it would be that valuable to Satan or something. "It was right on the money with what I know of her past life, too. There's no way she would have killed him right away. She was a wonderful plaything, right up to the end. Now I get to enjoy watching her suffer in Hell. You two are smart. You don't make connections with people, so I can't tell you to hurt them. Besides each other, but that bridge sailed a century ago."

He still didn't know you and Brook had semi-made up. That was a secret you were going to take to your grave. "Actually, that's kind of sad, isn't it? In over a century, you've never made a friend... Only one when you were alive... The only other person I know that you feel anything about is that sister of yours, and hurting her might bring a smile to your face." You crossed your arms. "And you two. Ah, young love. Too bad it always stays young for at least one of you," He said, eyes locking onto you for once. He looked at Brook again.

"Well, you two aren't truly toys, you're just a mortal who caught me when I was in a good mood a hundred years ago, so whatever." Brook cast his eyes to the floor, and you knew the look on his face for over a hundred years. You turned away from him.

"Anyway, that's all. I would normally love for you to stay and chat, but I actually have an appointment soon. So, ta-ta for now!

(At the end of this episode Celeste and Satan had a conversation and he updated her on the status of all the reapers. Wooo!)

"I wonder how many problems would be solved if Satan would just put on a shirt." -Graveweaver

Words: 875