Chapter 36

"...I killed her. I took your words as permission." She looked up at him.

'There was a reason I brought you, but... I ended up losing my temper... It was just so obvious that she killed her son. And honestly... People like that should be burning in Hell." Scarlet smiled. "...I see."

"It was... Definitely stupid of me, looking back on it... But, at the time, it felt like a free sinner." "...Well, that will be a bit of a problem. I did condone it, though. But I was also just speaking impulsively. I think those who bring suffering to children are absolutely unforgivable... But after spending some time with you and learning about the nuances of sin, I would have at least wanted to hear what caused her to do something so sickening." Scarlet remained silent.

"..So, what were her reasons? I assume you heard when you went to Hell.." "It... Was a little complicated." "Just tell me."

"She made a lot of bad decisions because of pressure put on her from her parents. They wanted her to settle down and have a child, instead of pursuing her dreams. She caved to them, and had a kid. Husband left her, she had no income. Kid gets a disease that is terminal, no way to afford treatment. She kills the kid to end his suffering, and to free herself." Scarlet explained, then watched Chase closely, waiting to see what he would say.

"So, she did deserve it. I don't know what I was expecting." "...That's it? You don't think the situation is too complicated to pass judgment?" "No. She killed her kid." "Yes. But her kid was going to die slowly. She ended it sooner. Do you think her kid should have suffered?" "I think it shouldn't have ever gotten to that point. Every decision she made was her own. The woman would have never had to face that situation if she hadn't made a million terrible choices beforehand. And, no, I don't think her shitty parents or husband are free of sin either. They're terrible, too. I can sympathize with her, absolutely, but in the end, she made the choices. Her parents might have disowned her, sure, but that doesn't force her to do anything. Being weak-willed is no excuse to bring an unwanted child into this world, or to take them out of it."

"...So... You're saying that the kid should have suffered and eventually died, instead." "Wrong. You seem really hung up on the idea that this woman oh-so-nobly chose to become a sinner to grant mercy to her suffering child. If she were actually so willing to sacrifice her own well-being, she would have found some other way. We indeed live in a shit society with no easy way to help the kid, but there are many steps before murder. Loads. Asking friends. Even theft is understandable in this situation. Hysterically begging on the streets is preferable to murdering an innocent child."

She was probably looking for an excuse to wipe away her mistakes, and she found one in the form of the disease. So instead of working hard to find a solution, she just killed the kid because she never wanted him anyway." "You're making a lot of sense but... I can't be as confident about it as you." "Well... You're the one in charge here. If you don't think she's a sinner, you don't have to kill her."

"..I did already." "Oh, yeah."

Her being dead does complicate the investigation, but... I'll adapt. I'll report that she was murdered, and continue the investigation as such. We'll have to find someone to pin her death on since I need the case completed to get back onto the force... And something tells me there will be no problem finding a sinner close to her that we can frame."

Scarlet and Chase went back to Anna's apartment, Chase looking around as Scarlet sat down at the small table they had talked at the last time they were both there together. "..I can't find any blood. You cleaned this place up pretty well." "Yeah, I spent like an hour cleaning up. That's my least favorite part about this reaper thing... And I already hate all of it. This one was particularly easy, though since she had... So many cleaning products..."

"Wonder why... In a normal situation, even if her body was found, nothing would have happened. The department gets at least ten corpse reports a day, the investigation backlog is impossible to get through. But, since I was assigned to his case, things are a little different. Where did you put the body, anyway?" He glanced at the fridge. "Don't tell me you put her in the-?" He said, reaching for the handle. "Chase. Don't open that." Chase looked from Scarlet to the fridge and freezer.

"..I didn't think you'd actually stick her in the freezer. But I guess it makes sense..." Chase glanced at the alarm clock that was still active on the counter. 12;:38. There was a small white piece of paper underneath it. Chase reached out to grab it. The card read; '1/2 2/2 3/2 etc.' in small writing at the top, 'RS/ACES' in bigger letters in the middle, and '45 E LINCOLN' in smaller letters below that. "...Is this a drug deal?" Chase asked himself.

Just then, there was a knock at the door, and both Chase and Scarlet turned to look at the door. "...Chase..." There was more knocking. "..Should we answer the door?"

"You could probably fit 10 of me in a freezer." - Graveweaver

words: 937