Chapter 47

Scarlet sat on a bus that was going through the city. Looking out of the window near her seat, she watched as she passed the city.

'I'm a Grim Reaper. Major wounds are generally no problem, as long as I can make it to Hell. I'll get healed by Satan and be on my way. But Chase is just human.'

As the bus came to a stop, Scarlet got up and exited it, walking down the sidewalk.

'If he gets hurt, it's a big deal. He needs a lot of time to recover.'

She kept her gaze focused and determined, ignoring the people she passed as she kept moving to her destination.

'...And, for once...'

She crossed the busy crosswalk, trying not to run into any of the people and students in front of her.

'...I find myself taking care of someone, rather than killing them. It's a funny idea. The Grim Reaper, running out to buy a different kind of soup every day...'

She approached the shop with a smile.

'...And today, I'm getting something really special.'

Scarlet tapped away on her found, sitting on the floor at the edge of Chase's bed. He lay with his covers up to his face. "...Did you get a sinner today, Scarlet?" Scarlet glanced at Chase, momentarily pausing her game. "Yeah, I went after one of the guys on the list you gave me. The one whose mom disappeared. I really do wish you were there. your affirmation gives me a lot of confidence to go through with the reaping. The guy really did just club his mom to death because he didn't want to take care of her in her old age. He deserved to go to Hell..."

There was a small pause of silence. "Ah." Scarlet turned her entire body, sitting more upright to try and get a look at Chase. "...You okay? Usually hearing about a sinner being a terrible person and going to Hell gets you in this smug mood... Like..."

Scarlet lifted both her hands to her face, making circles with her index finger and thumb to imitate Chase's glasses, then took on an odd voice as an imitation of him. "See, Scarlet. I am smart, can't you tell by my big red glasses? Of course, he was a sinner. I figured it out from the bead of sweat on the lower right side of his face in his mugshot."

Chase didn't reply, still turned away from Scarlet with the bedsheets up to his face. Scarlet shrunk a bit from the position on her knees at the end of the bed as she watched him. "...When I was a kid..." Chase began, and Scarlet's eyes twinkled slightly and her pupils grew at her interest.

"I had this delicious soup. It was a family-owned business, located across the city. They made the broth by boiling chicken bones for 48 hours... and hand-made the rice noodles in the back of the store... I only... I could have it again... But I'm far too weak to go get it myself... Woe is me... Will I ever taste that delicious soup... Who knows..." Scarlet's eyes grew again.

"The address is on the tip of my tongue... It'll take me about 10 seconds to recall it..." Scarlet, hearing this, shot up again and started to get ready to type the address into her phone. "...1337 South Menethil road... that's all I can remember..." Scarlet typed it all into her phone quickly.

"...Uh, Chase, I have something I need to do really quick." "...Why, what's up?" Scarlet scrambled across the floor from the bed to the door, grabbing her boots and wrestling with herself to get them on. "Uhhh, I wanna go double-check what color the sky is." "...It's blu--"

Before Chase could finish his sentence the door slammed shut as Scarlet left the apartment.

Chase remained silent in the bed for a few more moments in silence, before lifting his body and bringing a hand to rub his face. "Ahh... She's too nice. I knew she'd want to go get the soup." He lifted his hand away, a few drops of blood on it from his nose as he glanced at the closed door. "...I don't even think the address exists... Sorry, Scarlet. I... Just... Really don't want you to see me bleeding."

----

"So... I'm across town... But the address Chase gave me doesn't exist." Scarlet's finger held over her phone as she furrowed her eyebrows at it in confusion. "...Maybe the location closed, since he did say he got it when he was a kid..." Her eyes widened slightly in disappointment as she put her finger down. "...That sucks... I don't want to come back empty-handed, either. If I knew what kind of food he was talking about, I might be able to find something similar..."

"Grim Reaper! Heeey, Grim Reaper! Over here!" Scarlet stopped her rambling at the sound of the person yelling, her eyes widening in panic. She turned around sharply with a tugging feeling at the bottom of her stomach. How did they know?

Liam stood in the street in the same orange and black hoodie and jeans he wore when they met at Ana's apartment, his hand raised in the air as he waved at her. "Heyyy, Grim Reaper! Over here! It's Liam!"

'Liam... What are the chances of running into him again?! But, more importantly...' She sweat-dropped. 'How the hell does he know I'm a Grim Reaper?!'

"Wohohoahoaha, funny meeting you out here! That's crazy! I sent you a bunch of cool things for your character on Fatecraft! Did you check your mail?! I never got a response!" He held his arms up and slightly bounced on his feet in excitement. "I also tried whispering to you tons of times, but you never replied to me! Even though you were totally online! It almost felt like you didn't want to talk to me, but there's no way that's the case-" "Liam." Scarlet interrupted him.

"...Why are you calling me... The Grim Reaper...?" Her eyes were wide and cold, making Liam's eyes widen as well at the glare he was sent. He got a bad feeling from her like something was erupting inside of her. He held a worried expression. Why was she being so crude? It reminded him of red. "I...Isn't that your Fatecraft name? GRIMREAPER666?" Scarlet calmed down a little.

"I-I never learned your name, so... I'm sorry If you didn't want me to call you by your Fatecraft name..." He fidgeted with his hands nervously in front of him. "O-Oh, right! Yeah! U-Uh, no one calls me that, so I got a little confused! My real name is Scarlet. Call me that instead." She gave him a small smile, feeling slightly like an idiot.

Liam nodded at her a few times. "Of course, of course! Scarlet it is! That's a pretty cool name, you know! It matches your goth aesthetic! I was thinking the horn and fang implants were pretty cool too!" Scarlet's eyes widened slightly again. 'I forgot to put my hood on?!'

"I think it's really great that we live in a society that encourages individuality!" Scarlet tugged her hood on to cover her horns, putting her lips into a fine line. " Sorry, I'm trailing off! What are you doing out here? You look super lost!" Scarlet smiled nervously at him again. 'This Liam guy... Is so good-natured... I almost feel bad for not yet being able to tell him the truth.' Taking another glance at him, he was smiling sweetly at her.

"...Well, I'm looking for this soup place, but the address doesn't exist. So now I guess I'm just trying to find something close to it." She looked at her phone again. "I've never heard of it before, though... Chase mentioned something like... Boiling bones for broth... and noodles made of rice?" She looked down and narrowed her eyes, realizing how odd the recipe is.

Liam stood there for a moment. "Oh, Pho! The soup you're talking about is called Pho!" He placed his hands in his pockets. "I can find a really good place for you to get some of that! Just, if you're okay with it, in return... If I could get an update on Ana's disappearance..." He still held a very small smile, looking down to the floor with a sad expression. Scarlet couldn't help but feel bad for him since he had never done anything wrong.

"The return of Carrot Man..." -Graveweaver

Words: 1426