Chapter 7

Scarlet and Chase were walking, Scarlet was behind him. "Why... Did you... Follow me to my apartment?" Chase asks as they stop in front of a door.  Scarlet rubbed her face. "Oh, I did it without thinking."

   "Please think more often. Listen, I'll give you my phone number and we can meet up outside the police station later. Just go home." Scarlet gave him a blank look.

"I don't have a phone."

  Silence.

  "Or a home."

    "That's the saddest thing I've ever heard." Scarlet turned around, starting to walk away. "It's fine. I'll just go sleep on a bench." Chase went to stop her. "H-h-hold on a minute! A-are you crazy?! That's really dangerous!!"

   Scarlet turned around, giving him a small thumbs up. "I'm glad we agree. Thanks for offering me a place to stay out of the kindness of your heart."

  "Wait-" Chase pushed up his glasses with his hand. "Seriously... Ugh, alright, fine. I can keep an eye on you this way. You better not be allergic to cats, though." Chase opened the door to his apartment.

    On a bed in the middle of the room, there was a hairless cat with crossed blue eyes and messed up fangs. It had a dark green sweater on, with a star on it and in the star read the words 'special girl.'

'That's... A cat?' Chase picked her up and held her up right next to him to show Scarlet. "This is Lightstalker, banisher of the void. Say her name with respect, her comfort is the most important thing to me."

    Looking around the small apartment, Scarlet could tell before he even said anything. On a small table with an alarm clock, there were other sweaters for the cat on it. On a desk where a computer and mug sat, there was also a framed photo of Chase and his cat with matching sweaters. He looked really happy in it.

    Scarlet smirked. 'This guy... Is a turbo-dork.' "Alright, you can sleep on the floor," Chase said as he grabbed some white blankets and pillows. "My place is small, so don't expect anything more than that."

   Scarlet, who was looking around his room, touched the wing of a pretty big figure. It was sharp. "Yeah, no problem. I don't sleep much, and I'll be gone a lot anyway."

    Chase walked over to Scarlet and swatter her hand away from the figure she was touching. "And don't touch my stuff! It was expensive!" Scarlet rolled her eyes. "Alright, nerd."

   Chase's cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "D-do you usually invite yourself into people's homes and judge them based on their private possessions?!" "I dunno, do you usually point your gun at random girls in alleys?" She put her hand up to her head and pointed at her temple, imitating a gun to her head.

  Chase sighed. "Alright, listen. We're not friends." He rubbed his eye underneath his glasses. "I'm using you to solve case x and you're using me to find your... Thing. Don't overstep my boundaries.

   He grabbed Scarlet wrist. "And don't think..." He pulled out a pair of handcuffs, cuffing one side to Scarlet's wrist and another to a handle on a cabinet next to her and his bed. He locked it. "...That I trust you, for even a second."

    Later that night, Scarlet sat on the floor as Chase lied in his bed. 'I think he's asleep...' She grabbed part of the handcuff around her wrist and pulled on it, cutting the circle in half and breaking the cuff. She checked to make sure Chase was still asleep, then left his apartment.

   Scarlet walked around the city, in isolated areas, looking for lonesome sinners. She spotted a woman with long, wavy light brown hair. She was smoking and was in a waitress outfit. Must have just gotten off of work. She had a sinners mark. Scarlet started walking towards her, and, upon hearing her footsteps, the woman opened her eyes and looked at the Grim Reaper.

    Her eyes widened in shock as Scarlet continued walking closer to her.

    "Scythes are honestly terrible weapons." - Graveweaver

  (Revised and checked for errors: yes, once)

Words: 698