Chapter 58

The electrical wires, and structures around the area gave them good cover, as well as the trees, in the vast area on the outskirts of the city. Chase perched himself on a pile of dirt to watch the situation, man spread as he folded his hands in between his lap and looked down at the floor. You and Brook stood a bit away from him, shoulder to shoulder as you both faced Scarlet several paces ahead of you. Every time a gust of wind or slight breeze flew past you, Brook's sleeve would brush against your bare arm. You had a habit of swaying when standing, as he had grown accustomed to. He didn't mention whenever your arm brushed against his shirt or his arm as you moved back and forth on your feet.

You looked down and kicked a pebble again, and it rolled far enough for Scarlet to reach it with her feet. She didn't kick it back, but you grinned and looked back up, ignoring how the other two reapers around you were glaring at one another.

"I'm starting to realize just how uncool I am compared to three grim reapers..." Chase muttered under his breath, not looking up. "Why am I even out here again?" Brook leaned forward slightly. He always did have bad posture when he wasn't trying. You leaned back to look at Chase. "You need to be here. We're trying to provoke Scarlet's demon. If things get out of control, you need to pull her back. I thought you were smart," You muttered the last bit, pulling a smirk out of Brook.

"You know, like... You could run into her arms and embrace her, begging her to come back, because you totally couldn't live without-" "Shut the fuck up or I'll let her rip you apart first," Chase interrupted, looking up at both of you from under his eyelashes. Brook turned back to you and Scarlet with a fake face of dismay. "Well, one of the points of this training is to stop us from getting ripped apart again. It's incredibly hard to get us to be assed to do anything, so you both should be extremely grateful."

"I'll thank you if it works," Scarlet says firmly from across the two of you.

"Well, then, let's not waste any time." Another strong breeze brushed towards you, making your hair blow in your face. You scrunched up your nose. "To start out, let me reiterate the obvious. The reason that the demon takes over you is because you have no control over your own emotions. When you start feeling overcome by fear, rage, or whatever other primal negative emotion... The demon energy inside of you gets much stronger. And this is how it takes over you,"

You nudged a crack in the dry ground with the tip of your shoe, trying to stuff it in. You were sure she knew all this, but Brook didn't speak this much too often, so you didn't interrupt him.

" Either you relinquish control by wanting to run away, or it just grows so strong that it takes complete control over your humanity. Now, this is where we run into a bit of a problem with us trying to teach you how to control your emotions. I have no idea how to deal with that." He turned towards you expectantly. "I have a few times. But, when I was, I still had the ability to think by myself. Even without control. I brought myself back by thinking about... Things,"

Scarlet nodded in acknowledgment. Brook continued. "But that's just because I never had a reason to fear the demon or going back to Hell. If people die, that's just how it is, if I miss my deadline, Satan usually doesn't care. And worst-case scenario, I go back to Purgatory. No big deal. But you're Satan's little pet. You have the Ninth Level waiting for you." You chewed on the inside of your cheek.

"And you know, that one day, you will have to go back to it. You're simply postponing your inevitable fate. The end of this world is inevitable. Your sentence is inescapable. All humans will die, and the well for sinners will run dry. Even if humanity somehow carries on past its expiration, the energy of the universe will extinguish, and you will have to face its end. And when you reach that point, the wait until the end of the universe will be less than an atom on the radar of eternity. Your sentence of isolation is unfathomable to the human mind--" "Brook!"