Chapter 27

For some reason, Scarlet didn't feel like getting up for a second. Chase would know she wasn't human. She would have to explain. Would she even be able to? And so, she lay there, motionless. Chase lowered his gun and reached for her, slowly, gently. He swallowed thickly. Blood was dripping from Scarlet's forehead. "S-Scarlet?" There was another bang and a bullet went past Chase's head, narrowly missing him. Shocked, he looked back to the man, who was still holding up the gun. The man started shooting over and over again. Chase tried his best to keep moving around, dodging all of the bullets as he moved closer to the man.

      He was angry. He was really, really angry. He kept running at him. Eventually, when the man tried to shoot, there was just a clicking sound. He had run out of bullets. Chase remained unscathed. He held the gun up next to him. "I-I'm out of bullets?!" He turned his attention back to Chase, and his eyes widened. In the time he was looking at his gun Chase had caught up to him and was standing over him with his gun raised to hit him. Chase brought it down hard and it hit the man's cheek. There was a loud crack.

      Chase lifted the man up by his shirt. "You killed her." The man didn't say anything. "So I'll kill you." There were more cracks as Scarlet came to. 'f-fuck... When I jumped in front, I knew I wasn't going to die or anything...But at the exact same moment, I remembered Chase doesn't know who I really am... So I kind of just kept falling and pretended to die. But now... what do I do?' There were more sounds of things cracking and being hit as she lay there. 'I could just tell him that I'm okay... But how?! Should I just sit up and yell at him?! I guess that's my only option... But that's so awkward... I can't even see him right now... what's even going on over there?! Is Chase really beating the shit out of that guy?' Scarlet tried her best to look from the side of her eye without moving her head. Chase kneeled over the guy, his entire right hand full of blood.

       She moved her head slightly to see, and Chase stood p over the man, his bloody hand falling to his side. Scarlet went back to her original position and closed her eyes, frozen. She heard Chase's footsteps walking closer to her before he dropped next to her. "Why did you do that... What kind of an idiot jumps in front of a bullet for a suspicious guy she met a month ago... A suspicious guy, and a worthless detective. That girl with the X on her face, who I was so suspicious of... Turned out to be a better person than me.." There was silence for a while. "You should have just let me die. I wouldn't have cared. Why did I keep a gun on me, with only one bullet?... I told myself if I was ever going to use it again, I'd only need one shot to get the job done. I figured it'd only take one to kill me." Chase looked up slightly and Scarlet opened her eyes ever so slightly to see him.

         "It's just hard to accept...That there's nothing I can do to fix this shit world by myself.." Chase looked back down at Scarlet. He looked at her face. "..I suppose I should get her body taken care of." He stared at her for a second more. "I'll get the blood off your face..." Chase said, reaching for her face with his right hand. He barely touched her when she lifted her hand to grab his wrist and stop him from doing so.

         Chase's eyes widened in surprise. Scarlet used his hand to help sit herself up. "You're going to wipe the blood off my face... with your bloody hand?" Chase didn't respond, too shocked to speak. He just looked at her with wide eyes. After a minute or two Scarlet felt really awkward and looked to her side. Chase quickly pulled her into a tight hug, causing her to let out a noise of surprise. "Uh...Uhm.." Chase shoved her away. "You're alive... Even though you got shot straight in the forehead..." HE removed his hands from her shoulders and Scarlet looked down. "I don't think that this can be a secret anymore...

    "I'm the Grim Reaper."

      Chase stared at her, again with wide eyes. He looked like he was contemplating life. "What the hell does that even mean--" There was a groan from the man still on the other side of the alley. "He's still..." Scarlet stood up suddenly. She formed her scythe and sliced the man, killing him. She looked back to Chase. "...I'll see you in a second." She vanished. Chase looked at the area she had been standing at just 2 seconds ago. "S-scarlet?" Scarlet re-appeared in the same place, the wound on her forehead gone. "Chase... We need to talk."

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back." -Graveweaver

(Revised and checked for errors: Yes, once)

Words: 871