Chapter 5

(Just wanted to take a moment to appreciate Brook in this fan art, he looks so gooooooood)

     Scarlet followed Chase as he walked through the city, trying to get through the crowds of people on the streets. 'So... He's a detective. And a sinner.' Scarlet stared at the back of Chase's head as they walked to the police station.

    'Just how corrupt is this police force, that a sinner is allowed to be a detective? I guess it doesn't really matter, it's a win-win for me. If he ever tries to turn and hurt me like Jordan did, I can get my daily sinner out of the way.' She smiled, her guard up, ready to use her ability towards him at any time.

     'Let's hope you're useful enough for me to let you live, you filthy sinner.'

    Eventually, the two arrived at the police station. There was a red sign with 'YNPD' on the front. They walked inside, and the office area was very spacious. There were about 4 sets of seating areas with six chairs, 3 on one row and the other 3 back to back with them. There were about 11 people in the area, including Scarlet, Chase, and the desk staff. Two people sat at a long wooden table with papers and computers in front of them. Scarlet assumed they dealt with reports and checked the locals in for whatever reason they needed. Her and Chase's shoes made a clicking sound as they walked across the wooden floor.

    People in the office started staring and whispering as they walked across the room, clearly about them. 'Why is everyone staring at us now? Wait... They're all looking at me, aren't they?' Scarlet's heart' started beating faster. She got out of the situation with Chase and his suspicions, could she really get out of this one? Well, there could be another reason. She looked like a stoner and a criminal mixed, and she was also being walked into a police station by a detective.

   She pictured how she must look to some people. She pictured herself, smoking, holding up her middle finger and saying, "I told you it wasn't a phase mom!" Her face scrunched at the image. 'And now I'm being escorted to the police office! This is really bad!' She pulled her hood down to cover her entire face as they walked.

       'Satan! This is your fault! This stupid ass outfit!' As they walked further into the office, the people around them started speaking more, and it was clear what they were saying. "What's he doing here? He doesn't even care... Does he have any shame?" Chase seemed slightly hurt by the comments, his face grim, but he ignored them.

    As they came to a waiting room, Chase turned around and smiled at Scarlet. "Hey, can you wait here? I need to get the paperwork together." Scarlet started messing with the ends of her hair. "Oh... Yeah, sure." Scarlet was left in a big room with a comfortable cushioned couch against one of the walls, a painting above it, and Chase walked down the hallway connected to the room.

    Scarlet sat down on the couch, next to a little boy playing on a switch. The little boy eyed her and turned to face her. "What cartoon is that costume from?" Scarlet, disappointed, put her head in her hands and sighed.

    Chase stood in front of a door looking the the plate on it. It read, 'CHIEF DETECTIVE' in big letters and 'Veronica S. Carter' in smaller letters below it. Chase inhaled and grabbed the doorknob. "I'm coming in." He opened the door, looking into the room.

    It was a typical office, a desk with papers and files and books on it, and couches and simple decorations around the room. A woman sat at the desk, a paper in front of her and she held a pen, obviously in the middle of work. She wore a white button-up shirt and had a black and gold jacket draped over her shoulders, and had orange eyes. She seemed surprised by his visit.

     Chase stepped in and stopped in the doorway, closing the door behind him.

    "Chase... What the hell are you doing here? Did the receptionist really let you just walk in? You can't be showing up around here anymore." Veronica stated, covering what she was working on with her hand. Chase walked up to her desk, looking at a file on it. The papers inside were slightly ajar, showing bits of the case. Case X. There was a photo on the page, and it looked exactly like Scarlet. Bingo.

    "Are you even listening to me, Chase?" He walked over to her and set his hands on her desk, leaning on it slightly. "Chief, I want access to case X." The woman looked startled at his request. "How did you... Wait, no, that doesn't matter. Of course, you can't access it. You are not a detective anymore." She put her hands together in front of her.

    "That's exactly why I need access to this case. No one has been able to solve it, right? Give it to me. I'll solve it, and prove that I'm invaluable to the force." Chase's blue eyes were filled with determination. Veronica sighed and stood up. "It's really not that simple, Chase. I had to work hard to cover up your actions. You'll probably never be allowed back."

     Chase looked at her. "Chief, you don't understand. I have the suspect for case x sitting outside of this door right now." He said, talking about Scarlet. Veronica looked even more bewildered than before.

    "Chase, what are you on about? That's impossible." Chase started to get irritated. "The lady in the case! She has a scar on her mouth! It's unmistakable, I have her out there!" He pointed a finger towards his lips, where Scarlet's scar was, then set his hands back down on the desk. He calmed down slightly, and Veronica sat back down. "Chief, please, give me a chance to-"

    She cut him off. "Chase! There is no suspect in case x. There is only s victim. The only thing in it is an autopsy. The body is at the morgue."

    Chase's eyes widened, and he stood up fully. "Seriously...? But they look exactly the same.." He runs his hand through his hair. "I... I just.." His eyes start to water, and soon tears are flowing down his face. "Y-you know this is my dream. To be a detective give me a chance to redeem myself... Mom..." His mother sighed. "Seriously, where did you learn to fake cry? Cut it out." She grabbed a folder off of her desk and handed it to him. "This is no case x, but you can start here. It's a case... That I picked out specifically for you.

    " 60% of the human body is made of water, however, 60% of my body is composed of caffien and stress." - Graveweaver

(Revised and checked for errors: yes, once)

Words: 1178