Chapter 90

Veronica turns around, crossing her arms and looking down at all four of you with a somber expression. Something like regrets, maybe, worried Chase may be disappointed in her. You move the fabric of Brook's cloak in between your fingers, comforted by the fact that he was standing right next to you. He leans closer to you, despite the fact that you can see his face.

You, Brook, and Scarlet stare at Veronica with admittedly started expressions. You knew who she was the moment you walked into the room, but that didn't make the fact that she was both here and has a sinners mark any less surprising. Chase didn't seem surprised, though.

"I understand," Chase says simply. There's a moment of silence. "Scarlet, Brook, Deer, could I talk to my mom alone for a bit?" Chase asks without turning to look at any of you, only moving his head for a small glance.

Scarlet and Brook nod silently as you make eye contact with Veronica. Recognition flashes across her features, and you scurry out of the room behind Brook and Scarlet for fear of her saying something to you.

______

You lean your head on Brook's shoulder, all three of you leaning against the wall. You feel tired, because you haven't slept in a while, you think. Brook makes no complaint, sitting in silence and picking at a fraying piece of fabric on your shirt that happened from some sparks back at the battle. You're aware of Scarlet staring at both of you, but mostly Brook. You don't say anything because you could honestly fall asleep then and there, so instead, you just mess with the pink bunny ears that are drooping near your face.

You pause when Brook shifts, lifting his hand to pull his mask down. He keeps his finger hooked inside the fabric like he's ready to pull it back over his face at any second. You make your mask disappear after you left the room. "Why are you looking at us?" He asks, shifting his head to look at Scarlet.

You lift your head to look at her, too, and she has her hands on her knees as she watches both of you with wide eyes, filled with curiosity like a small child asking how children are born.

"How did we meet?"

Brook puts his arm down, and you both share a glance for a moment before looking back at her. You grimace.

The first time you met Scarlet officially was that one fight with Brook and her, but you'd seen her many times before that. When getting Brook to go for ice cream, or at Ana's apartment, or when you and Brook basically stalked her and Chase when she first came into the waking world and became a reaper.

Brook looks forward again, at the wall, then at you, then back at the wall. His face and hair do that thing they do after being in the wind for so long and being so tired, which you have grown accustomed to. His cheeks flush, but by now the pink has disappeared and his face is pale. His skin looks soft, lips pursed ever so slightly. His nose is cute, the thought popping into your head like it used to when you watched him read when you were both alive. His hair falls to shield parts of his face like it does when he reads, too, and you lean forward a little to be able to see him. Pink eyes. Very pretty face.