Chapter 74

There was a ripping sound, and someone hissed as you struggled against the chains, causing you to look up. "Tearing off your own arm like that... Sneaky." Satan complimented. You looked at Brook, and his arm was dripping steadily. His forearm was missing, and for a moment you thought about ripping your own off, but it wouldn't stop the inevitable. He already got you. You went limp, but only for a second.

"But you moved so quick that you weren't able to turn off your pain receptors..." He paused, an amused smile gracing his features. "Did you panic?"

Brook painted, still looking at the floor. His hair covered his face. "You... Didn't catch me,"

Satan glanced at you, and the chains tightened. You grimaced. "But didn't I? Because from my perspective..." He used the chains to maneuver Brook's unattached arm, tossing it in his direction. He caught it, holding it up with wide eyes. "...You practically handed yourself over to me."

Everyone paused and you moved your arms ever so slightly. "That's not me. That/s a piece of the puppet I live in." Brook retorted, looking up. He lifted his other arm and pointed at his temple, eyes narrowed. "I'm in here. My memories. That's what makes me, me."

Satan smirked. "Memories are what makes someone's identity, huh? You do know that Scarlet lost her memory, and was still sentenced to the Ninth Level? If memories were all it took to make up a person's soul, she wouldn't have been sent there."

"That's because you took her memories away!" You said, loud enough for your vice to reach him. You were shouted, and Brook finally glanced at you. "You've been screwing with her since the start." He said, voice also rising in volume, as he turned back to Satan.

"Hah. If I could do that, I would screw with every sadsack that falls into Hell. I'm very powerful, obviously, but I can't just pull magic powers out of my ass." Brook pinched his face in annoyance. "I don't believe you. There's no reason t think you're anything but a liar." He said, calmer. Satan made a sound of amusement.

"I can think of one really good reason to believe me. I think lying is boring." He made an elegant movement with his hand and looked around. He put both of his hands out in a giant gesture. "A game where I can lie is no fun. There's no excitement." You glanced down at Brook's severed arm, abandoned on the ground.

"Here. I'll give you one solid fact. I'm sure if you manage to put the puzzle together, you'll understand that I'm being truthful." You also noticed the black around his limbs has spread. You had to admit he looked kind of cool, no matter how much you hated him. "The person who caused Scarlet's amnesia... Is herself." He confided.

"Both you and her blame little ole' me, when truly it's her own fault." You narrowed your eyes at him. "I still don't believe you," Brook said firmly, and you squirmed. "There are too many holes in that statement. Please loosen these," You added at the end, and they did ever so slightly, but he just kept speaking. "Or maybe you're becoming aware of just how much you don't kno-" He stopped.

"Wait a second. You're stalling." He lowered himself and the chains on your wrists tightened and pinched your skin, making you yelp in surprise. Brook glanced back at you.

"Let's get back to it. If I'm not mistaken, you only have five minutes or so left. And I'm gonna be honest... I really want to win. So," You swallowed. "Good luck." He smiled, and the game was back on, but you were already out.

___________

"Hey.

Scarlet. Wake up."

Scarlet shifted, rising. Her hair was as long as her legs, and she couldn't see through it.

"There you go!"

Both of those voices sounded so familiar, but she couldn't place them just yet.

"Get that hair out of your face." "You could be nice about it."

There was silence, and she didn't bother moving.

"Come on. Don't you remember how to cut your hair?" "You can do it, Scarlet."

She hesitated, but the familiar sound of her reaper abilities thrummed throughout the void as she formed a shard in her hand and began slicing her hair unevenly.

"I'll have to fix that later."

"Leave her be."

Her face was visible now, her sideburns going just past her shoulders. Her bangs were just below her eyebrows, and part in between her eyes that went past her nose. She looked so tired.

"Good job. You can do the bare minimum."

There was a pause with the voices, but she didn't look around. A dripping sound rang in her ears as something liquid fell on her hair. The stream steadily grew, pouring down onto her face and chin.

"Now, look at us."

She didn't move.

"Above you," The other voice clarified. She did as she was told, her eyes widening.

"I wouldn't want to race Turbo-Satan." - Graveweaver

Words: 847