Chapter 22

Scarlet kept making turns until she was a pretty decent length from the area. 'He didn't follow me... I guess my gamble paid off. He can't go out in public without the mask. I can probably... Put him down..' Scarlet glanced at Chase over her shoulder. 'He's been awfully quiet...' "Hey, Chase, we're safe, I'm going to put you down now." She told him.

     "Nice and gentle..." She said, putting him on his feet. He was slightly stiff, but still quiet. "Ta-da!" Scarlet raised her arms out slightly, then put them down. He still didn't say anything. She looked to his hands, still behind his back. "Oh, uh, the ropes! Sorry!" She walked behind him. "Let me just... Grab my scissors.." She put her hand out and formed a shard, using it to cut the ropes binding his arms. She walked back in front of him but he still didn't say a word.

    "Errr, want me to take off the blindfold too?..." She asked, reaching to the side of his head to lift it up. He wasn't wearing his glasses. She slid it down and he had this grim look on his face, his head slightly down, but still, the man said nothing. What was up with him? "Oh, uhm, here." Scarlet reached into her pocket, pulling out his gun and handing it to him. "You can have your gun back. I used a bullet."

    Chase suddenly had a furious look on his face as he grasped Scarlet. "Wha-" She tried to speak, but Chase tackled her and slammed her to the floor. She noticed he took the gun from her and pushed it against her cheek. "Who the fuck are you?!?!"

Scarlet remained silent.

   "Do you think I'm an idiot? That I'd  just overlook everything?" He leaned in closer to her and her face turned to the side slightly. "I know that you kill people. That man in the alley... You murdered him right before I found you." Scarlet thought back to Jordan. "...but that's not all. Nothing about you makes sense. You broke the handcuffs I put on you, without any tools. You're constantly drenched in the scent of dry blood, to the point where you don't even notice.

   ".. And you're somehow connected to the Red Spades, even though you don't seem to even understand what they are. You get us both into a mess, but still somehow manage to escape, while carrying me. I didn't see anything, but your strength and agility are completely unnatural. You haven't killed me because you're using me. Yet I feel like..." He thought back to when she apologized before she saw the wall in front of them. "....Scarlet... Who are you?" Tears were starting to form in his eyes.

"I don't know. I lost my memory. I'm using you to help me find it. You told me I look identical to the woman in Case X... And that's the closest thing I have to figuring out who I was. I have no other leads. I'm sure you're smart enough to not discount any possibilities, Chase. It's probably crossed your mind that I could be her. Perhaps."

   "You can't remember anything?" "The only thing I've been able to recall is a faint memory of going to the Red Spades. It's why I unintentionally took us there. It was the only thing I could remember, and I was desperate for any information. I had no idea they were a criminal gang." After a moment, Chase lowered his hand and the gun onto the concrete on the side of Scarlet.

   ".. Alright. Well, explain to me why you killed that man in the alley." "He's the one that took me into that alley, intending to kill me. If I hadn't killed him, he would have murdered me." There was a pause of silence. "Alright, then. My last question." He looked back to playing Fatecraft. To the apology. "You've been playing me the entire time, haven't you?" Scarlet's eyes widened. She turned her head to the side.

  "No, Chase. I'm a bad liar.

"If we met outside of these... Circumstances... I think we could have been friends." "I thought we were." Scarlet's eyes widened again, and she finally looked at him. She reached a hand to her face to rub the bridge of her nose.

   "N-No. Chase... By the circumstances, I mean.. Well...I'm the gri-" "Ahh, this pose is uncomfortable. I'm getting up." Chase said, and Scarlet felt him move off of her. He was straddling her before. He sat down on the ground next to her. "That entire time I was expecting you to shove me off and beat me up. The gun doesn't even have any ammo left, I only had one bullet in it." He spun the gun around on his index finger.

    Scarlet sat up. "Uhm... Don't you have more questions?" "Well, about your super strength or how you're a literal murderer? Nope. No more questions. I got the essential information. You are aware of your relationship with Case X, and you're probably not going to kill me. Yet. As for you... Maybe you're some government experiment, or anything alien. I have to be open to the possibilities. I'm the best detective there is. It'd be a shame for you to just hand me the answer to such a great mystery."

"Hmm" - Graveweaver

(Revised and edited: yes, once)

  Words: 904