Chapter 80

TW: Drugs (Weed)

I just want to say that the only thing going through my mind is the scene in the Goldfinch where (spoilers!) Theo and Boris are high as shit on Acid and Xandra is just freaking out about her husband being dead and they just laugh at her.

Also, I just want to note that I have no experience with smoking, nor do I have any experience with these kinds of drugs. I'm going to try to make this vague and not use too many details, but if I do just let me know and I just edit it. Enjoy!

_______

"That's totally unfair!" You grin. "How is that unfair, Alex? Pray, tell, how could I possibly cheat?" You lean forward, teasing grin growing wider when his nose twitches.

"So impatient. Don't worry, you'll get your chance. It's literally only a few seconds." He rolls his eyes and mumbles something, but lifts the blunt (?) in his hands anyway to hand it to you. You take it with a grin, searching for your lighter.

"This is going to be funny." You declare, lighting the blunt in your hands. You rolled it in between your fingers, before bringing the blunt up to your lips and taking a deep breath.

You cough a few times, eyes watering, but get over it quickly with a slight laugh. Alex watches you intently the entire time. "Your turn, love." You hold it out to him and he takes it slowly, watching it like it's a vial of poison.

He does what you do, coughing a decent amount before he catches his breath. "Oh. Oh, that's awful," He says incredulously, looking at you with wide eyes when you throw your head back with a cackle.

"It'll get better once you do it a few more times." You assure. "I did this with Alicia when I was 13, you know." He narrows his eyes at you, obviously not believing you. You take the blunt from his fingers, repeating the process a few times until you don't cough anymore.

He watches you the entire time, taking it back when you offer it to him.

It takes him a bit to actually start doing it again, but once he stops coughing, he doesn't hesitate.

"Told you." You grin, and he rolls his eyes again but offers it to you.

_______

Some minutes later, you're both giggling at something that he had just said, and you waved your fingers above the grass. It tickled, making you laugh harder, and you flopped onto your side in the grass as you laughed until you were breathless. Every time you both stopped laughing, one of you would crack up again and it was over.

The first blunt had been discarded long ago, and you had planned on doing at least two when you splayed out here. The thought slipped your mind and you vaguely wondered if you'd light the second one as you looked up at the clouds, the sun starting to go down until Alex fell down next to you. You grinned up at the sky, and when you turned your head you saw he was watching you.

"What?"

"You're really pretty," He says bluntly, reaching out a finger with furrowed brows to move across your eyebrows. You giggle.

"Oh. Thank you." You're very pretty too,"

"You tell me all the time. I don't tell you enough."

You grin at him, and when he turns to look at the sky you do the same. You fall into a comfortable silence as you lay down shoulder-to-shoulder.

Drugs, apparently, make Alex much bolder than he usually is. Of course, he's always been quite blunt. When he wants to say something, he says it. But never with this much adoration in his voice, and never too much about you. He does all of that through touch, which you're completely fine with, but this is nice too. This is really nice.

10 minutes into when you took the first hit, he didn't hesitate to inhale some smoke into his mouth, grab the sides of your face and kiss you. You had let out a surprised sound, but, per usual, melted into him. When he tilted his head, on pure instinct, you opened your mouth and he blew the smoke in. Then he leaned back and watched you. "Oh," You had let out in a breath, the smoke coming out of your mouth and up. You watched it, then looked at him.

"That's something I'm definitely into," You mumbled, and that was when both of you started to crack up.

"Do you think that, like..." You pause. "Do you ever think that we'll end up like our parents?" You ask, turning your head to look at him. He looks at you, pressing his lips into a fine line. "No. I don't think so." He says immediately.

"Why not?"

"They never loved each other, you know. I know your mum loves your dad, but he never cared about her that way. He just married her because she was willing. My mother was after the money, and my father just wanted to keep the family line going. They weren't in love." He takes a deep breath, turning his entire body to face you. "I can't say I know what love is supposed to feel like, but I'm positive that I'm in love with you. There can be different types, but I want to get married to you and have kids with you and everything. I want to give you and whatever kids we have in the future the things we never got. I don't think we will be like them at all, because we never have been."

You watch his mouth as he speaks, and that somehow makes it clear. It feels real now, with him admitting this, as much as you knew it was in the future.

You grin. "We should do this more often. I like having conversations with you."

"I know."

You reach out and hook a finger in his hair, which has leaves and it's kind of messy but not tangled. You hum at how soft it is, always so surprised by it even though you know how it'll feel every time.

Before you can really process what he's doing, Alex pulls you into a hug, sitting you both up. You rest your face in the crook of his neck, returning the hug and letting your eyes drift shut.

You must have both fallen asleep because when you finally open your eyes you feel more lucid and the sky is the light blue as when the sun had just come up. The air is nice and chilly, and you take a deep breath, not daring to move but moving your eyes around.

You don't remember everything from last night, but you remember the kiss, a lot of laughing, and most of the conversation. You blink a few times and relax more, content with staying here forever.

The last thing you remember thinking of before falling back asleep is that you never lit the second blunt.