Chapter 4

"You.. Are a puppet!" Satan said, enthusiastically. Scarlet gave him an unsure look. "With a demon inside of it!" He waited for her to say something, but there was just a really long pause of silence. Scarlet adjusted the bandana around her neck. "...you say this like I'm supposed to know what it means." Satan shrugged in playful annoyance. "God, you really are so dense! Fine, if I have to spell it out for you!" This guy...

     "You. Are. Dead. Your body is probably off rotting in some ditch. Now that's an issue! You're just a soul now, with no corporeal form you can't access the land of the living." He put a hand to his chin. "Luckily for us, I am Satan. I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Using my abilities, I crafted a flesh puppet for your soul to control. It looks exactly like your old body, being inside it should feel no different than being alive." He gestured to her body.

   "... And it is just as fragile." He held his arm out to her. "I may have granted you the pleasure of becoming a Grim Reaper, but you can't get reckless! Your puppet can get injured, just like any other toy! If you destroy that puppet, you better kiss your sinners quota goodbye! It's damn hard to kill someone with a broken body!"

     Scarlet looked back at Satan's words as she looked at the man holding a gun to her face. She narrowed her eyes at him. 'Shit... A gunshot would still definitely kill me... Should I try and kill him? No, he'll probably just shoot...' She grimaced at the thought of dying a second time, even if she couldn't remember the first.

    The man looked at her for a moment, and she stared back at him. She finally took the chance to look at him fully. He was wearing a white shirt and a black tie, as well as khakis and a black belt holding them up. He had black shoes, and a cloudy dark blue coat that almost went down to his ankles.

    He sighed, before taking the gun away from her head, and pointing it upwards. "..sorry." Scarlet looked at him, bewildered. "..' sorry'?!" He almost killed her, and he just says sorry?

    He put his gun away, and put his hands into his pocket. "Yeah, I acted without thinking. It's just.." His expression changed from suspicion to worry. "I saw you and that strange guy come into that alleyway earlier, and I ran in here because that's a really dangerous situation for a woman.." He narrowed his eyes at her. "Speaking of which... Where did he go?"

    Scarlet tensed up at the question she didn't say anything for a few seconds and he started talking again. He used his index finger to push his glasses up, higher onto his face. "I heard a scream and now, the scent of iron in the air... Or is that blood?" He glanced at her, and yet again suspicion outlined his features. Her eyes widened.

     'I have to kill him.' He was facing away from her, she started to form a scythe when he turned around to face her. "He attacked you, didn't he?!"

     The sudden blame towards Jordan surprised her, and she halted. "I'm a detective. If that man hurt you, I'm going to have to ask you to come with me to the police station to file a report." Scarlet thought about what he was saying.

    'Wait.. Is this guy really that... Dense? Well... The detectives in this city are incompetent enough that a murderer was just wandering the streets, picking you random girls..' She thought about Jordan. Fucking bastard. 'Wait... I can take advantage of this... Gaining the trust of a police officer... Could lead to a steady stream of sinners... I'm sure they wouldn't mind me taking some suspects off of their hands.' Scarlet smiled, then took on a 'distressed woman' act.

    "S-seriously, I get away from that psycho and I run headfirst into a gun.." She looks down, messing with her bandana yet again. She then starts messing with her jacket. "A-Are you really a...detective? You're here to help me...?"

    Chase looked down slightly, scratching the back of his head. "Sorry about that, I was just a little on edge about the situation.." He pulled out his badge, holding it up for Scarlet to take a look at it. "The name's Chase, rough introduction but I'm here to help you." She smiled, satisfied that her plan was working. "I'll be happy to cooperate in any way possible." Chase smiled with the same satisfied look. "Of course. It'll be helpful to the both of us."

   He stood looking down at Scarlet, and she stood looking up at at Chase. It was silent for a moment.

    'What... An idiot..' They both thought, thinking that they had the upper hand.

"A whole bunch of shady folks." -Graveweaver

  (Revised and checked for errors: yes, once)

  Words: 833