Chapter 44

Fan art by @junkyjunoli on Twitter :)

The alley where Deer and Brook's body parts lay was empty and silent, the bickering between the two the only thing that could be heard.

"Then I went and bought some cereal at the supermarket because I realized I was out, so-" "I don't care about what you did yesterday!" Brook snapped at them. "You don't even need to eat. You're already dead." Deer rolled their eyes. "So? It tastes good,"

The two reapers stopped speaking when they realized they were transported back into Hell. Satan leaned down, picking up Brook's head in his hands, holding him up, and looking at him, then glanced at Deer and back to Brook. "What a pathetic sight... Two reapers that have been reduced to nothing but a couple of heads... And failed to make their midnight quota. Looks like your time as a reaper is up, little Brook."

"I already got my sinner today," Deer butted in from the floor. Satan looked down at them. "You did? I don't remember." "I did! The serial rapist! The one who kept yelling at you!" Satan held an amused smile, ignoring them and looking back up at Brook. "How awful that poor sister of yours will feel, having to be sent back to Hell for eternity..."

"You won't return me to Purgatory. Just grow back my body already." "Mine too!" Satan's face morphed into a deranged, wonky smile with wide eyes, throwing Brook's head to the ground. He winced, his face becoming mushed as Satan stepped on his cheek. Deer rolled their eyes. 'What's the point of that?'

They watched the situation Satan was pissed. "Don't fucking talk back to me." "Ooohhh, Brook's in trouble~." Satan looked to them, a more pissed look on his face making them press their lips into a fine line, muttering a "sorry, go on."

"You are my reaper. I own you. And today, my little toy, you failed me." Brook narrowed his eyes, staring at Satan. "I've killed extra sinners plenty of times." Deer could tell he was nervous. They have known him for over a century, after all. Knew him well enough to be close to him and decipher his looks. Shoving the thoughts out of their head, they turned back to the conversation. "...And, besides that... Taking away my job as a reaper would be much less entertaining for you. Am I wrong, Satan?"

Satan smiled, taking his foot off of Brook's face and reaching down to grab the pink cloth wrapped around Brook's head and hair, holding him up so their faces were a foot or two apart. "You're correct. I just wanted to scare you a little bit... In case you were thinking that you're allowed to start slacking off."

Brook and Deer's body was surrounded by their demon energy color, neon green and pink, their bodies regenerating as Deer was still laying on the floor. Satan didn't let go of the cloth above Brook's head. "This little toy still hasn't finished serving his purpose for me yet."

Brook raised his hand, his pink gloves on his hand again, and smacked Satan's arm, making him let go of his makeshift ears. "It's not like going back to Purgatory would be that bad. The slow life was definitely more my pace." He reached his other hand out, still glaring at Satan, out to Deer to help them up. They took it, standing up and giving him an appreciative smile. Brook glared at them, hard, wiping his hand on his shirt. 'He probably hadn't meant to do that. Instincts, maybe.'

"I like it more than having to deal with unbearable reapers and my shitty boss." "Ah yes, but then your sweet big sister will have to go back to hanging away for eternity..." Brook put both his hands to his sides, staring at Satan dead-paned. "Yeah... 'sweet'." He looked to the side a little, grimacing.

Satan smirked. "Anyway... What the hell got you two in that sorry state?" Deer smiled, letting out a little laugh. "Wanna take a guess?" Brook asked, turning to face him again. He put his hand to his face and looked down, thinking. "She actually fully lost control, huh..." "Yeah, bug surprise. She's incredibly unstable. If you were aiming to create a reaper who is emotionally volatile under pressure, you picked the perfect woman." "Aww, I'll take that as a compliment towards my choice in reapers."

"You should have seen how shocked he was!" Deer folded forward in laughter, covering their mouth. Brook shot them another glare. "I hadn't expected her to lose control that quickly." "Obviously! She was strong, too." Brook turned away from both of them with a sigh.

"Just send us back, We have nothing else to report. I'd rather go out there and get my limbs plucked off like a bug again than continue talking to you." "Speak for yourself," Deer muttered, walking up next to him and turning to Satan with a nod before they both vanished.

Satan looked at the empty spot the two were just standing in. "Ahh, he's in his rebellious phase... But that's alright. Because Brook will serve his purpose eventually."

-----

The clicking on shoes echoed throughout the large, colorful chapel as someone walked through it. Rainbows and pastel colors were everywhere in sight, the woman's hair blowing behind her.

Her dress swooshed behind her, the cross accessories on her headband swinging along with her long blonde hair as she walked. Her outfit was a dark blue dress, the skirt only going about halfway to her thighs, a white bit covering the top and slightly around his neck. She had white gloves on, with yellow embroidery around the edges. Black leggings and white high heels.

Wings emerged from the back of her outfit, where there were already holes in her outfit for the exact purpose. They grew to full size, fluttering in the air and a few stray feathers went everywhere. 'What am I going to do...'

"I think there was more color in the final panel than I've used in the entire comic...' -Graveweaver

Words: 1020