Chapter 54

*I'm changing it to second POV! Only for when Deer is on screen. :) Enjoy!*

You tapped your foot against the concrete of the floor one, two, three times, to at least break a bit of the silence echoing around. Your eyes drifted to the reaper next to you, his shirt flying off his chest with the breeze. Your eyes wander to the pink marks lining his abdomen and going up and down, also on his arm. It wasn't as if you had watched him for decades. You practically had it memorized. He watched Chase with a glare, but he didn't seem to be wavering in the slightest.

"You purposefully got caught so that you could talk to us?" Chase closed his eyes, nodding. "Yes." He clarified. "That's an idiot's gamble," Brook muttered, and you caught him sneaking a glance at you. His body went to turn, and he hesitated, looking back to Chase. "Our orders could have been to kill you." He snapped sharply. "Or worse." You piped in, taking a step forward. The conversation the three of you had rang in your ears as Brook glared at you but made no move to make you step back and get out of the way.

"I know how to handle it, so don't butt in. It'll be fast anyway." Brook instructed, twirling a stick between his fingers. You drew a smiley-face in the dust and dirt on the cement floor. "Why can't I talk to him?" "You might let something slip," The leader said as she walked away. Brook waited until the sound of her shoes walking completely faded before leaning into your side, making you look at him like he was crazy. "Are you sick?" You said loudly, and he brought his hand up to cover your mouth and half of your face.

"We can't get sick, moron," he said quietly. The fabric of his glove covered your face and you brought both hands to grasp his wrist, pulling his hand off of your face but not letting go. His hand went slightly limp and curled into itself, but he didn't move. He narrowed his eyes at you. "Here's the plan," He started, looking to the doorway and leaning in closer to whisper it into your ear.

The plan was already going off course, so it was just time to see how it played out. "Is it an idiot's gamble if I can't lose?" Chase looked up to the both of you, his eyes darting from you to Brook. You raised your eyebrows. Where was he going with this? "Best case scenario, I get a valuable one on two meeting with the incredibly elusive Rabbit and Deer Reaper. Or, even better case scenario, I die." You let out a snort, and Brook looked extremely shocked and angry.

You turned to Brook laughing, setting a hand on his shoulder. "He sounds like me," You wheezed. Brook swatted your hand away, stepping towards Chase. You got over your giggling fit, standing upright and turning around to witness the situation. He leaned down to be at eye level with him. They just stared at each other for a while. Chase's eyes drifted towards you, and it took you a second to realize and you scrambled to sit next to Brook. He scooted just a few inches away from you.

"Fine. We'll chat. Not like there's anything better to do until I get the order to snap your neck." Brook reached out to him, hooking a finger under his mask to pull it down. "But if we're not wearing our mask, then you're not allowed to either." "W-wait, hold on, I'm wearing it to-" He stammered, but Brook had already pulled it down. He had a pure look of shock and confusion on his face.

Chase's nose was bleeding heavily. He looked away, seemingly abashed. His calm demeanor from seconds before had vanished and he slumped against the wall. "You're... Wait, why is Scarlet working with-" "She doesn't know yet," Chase interrupted. Looking to the side. You looked between the two of them. "I feel like I'm missing something," You mumbled, looking to Brook for an explanation.

He ignored you. "She's going to find out in like a week. You're using her, aren-" Chase again interrupted him by ripping the ropes around his wrists, breaking them apart aggressively. You blinked at him. He brought his arm up to wipe the blood from his face. "No. I'm fine. I'm on the expensive medication... The blood is because I missed a few days. Scarlet doesn't need to stress herself out about it when I can handle it. Either way, I'm going to tell her when I'm ready. But all of that is my own god damn business, rabbit."