Chapter 21

Scarlet crept down a hallway, which was extremely worn down and dirty, as if it was abandoned. She stopped before turning the corner, hearing two voices. Sneaking a peek, she sees they also have sacks over their head with eyes and a mouth cut out, bright red sinners mark on their chest in front of their clothes.

   "Did you check out the hostage in the other room?" One of them asked. "Yeah, yeah! It's that cop who was in the news a while back, right?" "Definitely him. He's a lot nicer than the articles made him out to be, though. Totally charming." "Do you think he wants to join us...?" "I mean it's either that, or he dies!" "That's true..." There was a small pause of silence. "Do ya think he's single?" Scarlet could tell the other was rolling her eyes. "Shouldn't you wait to see if he lives before asking that?"

    'They're definitely talking about Chase. I think. Well, if they're on guard here, he's probably close...' Scarlet turned the corner close by, finding a stair casing and walking down it. It, too, was like the rest of the place. Rundown, as if it were to break down any minute. As she was halfway down another flight of stairs, she saw a doorway without a door. People were in there, speaking.

   "And how does that make you feel?" She stopped. 'Chase?' She leaned against the wall near it, hiding, trying to hear more and see inside. "Well, honestly, kind of unappreciated." A big man was sitting in front of him, a sack over his head like the others.  Chase had a black blindfold on, his hands behind his back, sitting on the floor facing the doorway.

   "I totally understand where you're coming from. I felt the same way at my old job." "Oh, you can relate...? Seriously, just because I'm strong I get the grunt work, and I never get long breaks..." "And you're really dedicated to the Red Spades, too, from what you've told me. You genuinely deserve a promotion or something." "...wow, you really think so? You're so nice to me, even though I tied you up..." "Hey, don't worry about it. Orders are orders. I don't hold anything against you."

    'Chase is completely playing that guy... He's smart... It gave me enough time to-' "Hey, can I ask you a question? How did you know the person that I came with? The one with black hair?" Shit. "Ah... Her... Yeah, she used to come by a lot- sometimes at this location. She'd always have private meetings with the boss." "Private meetings... So I assume that means that you don't know what she came for, specifically." "No idea. Nobody knows but the boss. But she'd always leave with a box, about this big..." He held his hands in front of him for size comparison, just smaller than a shoebox. It was futile, since Chase couldn't see. "I see... And I'm guessing that's all you know?" (You ain't see shit you have a blindfold.)

    "That's all I know... Like I said, I'm the grunt, so I get all the dirty wor-" There was a thud as the man's head fell to the floor. Scarlet stood above him, a scythe in her hand. She almost felt bad for killing him, but it was necessary. 'I had to kill him... Thank god Chase is blindfolded.' "Did... Something happen?"

   Chase asked. Scarlet moved to go behind him. She lifted him with ease, bridal style. "Yeah, I'm getting you out of here." "Hold on- wait? Scarlet? You came... Wait, no, what about the guard?" "Chase, can you just shut up? I still need to get us out." She walked towards the exit quickly.

   'I need to escape here fast, before..' And other variations of that were all that went through her head as she ran around, looking for the way out of there. She turned around, seeing the familiar pink fake rabbit ears and pink gloves, one of the hands holding a phone.

   Well, fuck.

   Brook gave her a look that was unphased, as if saying he did not have time nor patience for this. He put his phone away and pushed himself off the wall. Scarlet saw his glove turn black, as if it was emitting the demon energy. It must have been his hand. "You have loud footsteps." Scarlet looked at the window behind him, determined to get Chase- well, to get them out of there.

   She put Chase suddenly over her shoulder, and he let out a surprise "Woah!" Her hand was basically on his ass, but she tried her best to ignore it. This was necessary, not anything else.

   'I need to be more creative about how to use my weapon...' She reached her other hand out, forming her scythe again. 'And I should keep in mind how Brook fights - up close, with his fists.' She focused on him as he charged at her. When he got close enough she raised her weapon and also charged at him. 'Now!'

    As Brook reached out to grab her, she slammed her half-made weapon into the floor, using it as a pole to jump over him. He looked up at her, slightly surprised. He hadn't expected that. She shot out of the window, successfully with Chase still over her shoulder.

   She landed safely in the ground, looking up, but she saw someone. The same person from Anna's apartment, dressed in green. They eyed her head to toe, and looked at Chase, before shrugging their shoulders and walking past her.

    They walked to the entrance, opened the door, and there was Brook, pacing in the walkway some doors away. "Suppose you almost had them, huh?" They asked, walking towards him. Brook scoffed. "You saw them? The least you could do was help get 'em." The one in green shrugged. "Oh well. Not my problem. How about that ice cream?" They asked, pulling a wallet out of their pocket.

  "Chase makes a pretty good damsel in distress." -Graveweaver

   (Revised and edited: yes, once)

  Words: 1040

Fun fact of the day: the final part of Mt. Everest you need to climb is called Rainbow valley because of all the colorful jackets of people who froze to death while hiking.