Chapter 75

Her face looked back at her. It was surreal, because she could see the red detail of the blood pouring from every hole in her face available, her eyes wide, but her body with exposed organs was white. There was no color besides the red of blood.

"Ah... You didn't bother to cut the middle part." The voice was different this time. It was hers, not whoever was speaking before. "I guess that's my fault... I never bothered with it... You only need it cut enough to see, after all..." Scarlet put her hands behind her, on her cloak, leaning back.

"You're not real."

There was a spurting sound as she came out of the organs, which were apparently just a coating around her real body. The blood was gone now, and both versions of her were dry.

She was wearing normal clothes now, and it was hard to tell exactly what she was wearing. She dropped to the floor in front of Scarlet. "You know..."

Whatever was in front of her rolled to the side to face her. "I look more like Scarlet than you, now." She smiled. "But we're the same, so does it really matter?"

Scarlet looked at her. "I resent you. What the fuck did you do to get me into this Hell?" She asked with a blank face. "You've forgotten. So, I don't know."

Scarlet crawled forward slowly, straddling the puppet in front of her. She only stared back at her as Scarlet put her hands around her neck. "Strangling me won't do anything, you know." Scarlet squeezed. "What remains of me was the foundation for 'Scarlet.'... Ante is dead, but my flesh was the soil that grew Scarlet... In fact, I see many ways that you took after me..."

Scarlet squeezed tighter, eyes widening. Her hair was falling in front of her face, but she persisted. "You're wrong." "I'm right. The lengths you would go to save one insignificant person... is so familiar." "Stop fucking talking! I'm going to kill you, and then I'll be free!"

"Go ahead. I want to die by your hands... Scarlet..."Scarlet jerked backward as her puppet in front of her turned into Chase.

"C-Chase?" She paused, her face becoming a loot of dismay. "I thought... I had forgotten... What you looked like..." Her eyes stung, and the tears fell because she was unable to blink them back. She leaned over him gently.

Her tears dripped onto his white clothes, and there was no response. "I know you're not real... But I can't seem to be angry at being tricked." She admitted.

"You're right. I'm not the real Chase. But if it feels real, why not pretend I exist? Even if it's just for a moment?"

Scarlet looked at his face, so familiar, and gently reached out. His skin was just as she remembered and she cupped his face, thumbs on his cheeks. He gave her that special smile, the one normally reserved just for her, and sometimes his mother.

She rubbed her thumbs. "You feel warm..." She mumbled. Chase let out a sound of amusement, opening one eye to see her properly. "Because that's how you remember me, right?"

"Yeah..." She stared at him. "I spent a lot of time thinking in here, and I managed to figure something out. But I'll never see you again. And you... You're not the real Chase. So might as well say it."

His expression was unwavering. "I love you, Chase."

His expression turned sad, and he slowly rose to sit up in front of Scarlet. "Scarlet..." He slowly brought his own hand up to cover hers on the side of his face. "You should have killed me."

"No. I can't." Her stomach twisted unpleasantly, but she continued without moving. "If I killed you... I would cross the point of no return." She closed her eyes. "You're the only thing that keeps me human."

"I understand."

She paused, and slowly started to lean forward. If she couldn't ever get this in real life, at least she could hear. "Thank you, Scarlet..."

She could feel his breath.

"Thank you for being such an entertaining pet." Her eyes flew open as the hand gripped hers and pulled it down. She was met with wide eyes staring back at her, unmistakably the eyes of Satan.

"Where the hell is your mind wandering off to? Have you forgotten that you're my property?" Without thinking, Scarlet reeled back with her hand in a fist and hit him in the face. Again. And again. And again.

She panted over the body, the head just a red puddle on the ground.

"Get me out of here." She said quietly. She sat in silence for a while until she heard screaming, and it didn't take long to realize that it was her screaming, but she didn't stop.

She keeled down, covering her ears as she screamed and pleaded, looking up. There was nothing but blackness, and she reached up. "I don't want to be alone..."

Two hands gripped hers, one in neon pink and one in neon green. Color.

"Cool new haircut." -Graveweaver

Words: 853