Chapter One

Y/n's POV

The colder breeze of the December air whipped at my half covered face, stinging my bare skin a little. It whistled through the trees of Central Park and small snowflakes started to fall. The snow crunching underneath my footsteps was the only other thing heard this evening. It was only a few days before Christmas and I had nothing better to do tonight in the big apple. I have my favorite camera with me and I just wanted to take night shots of the city in the small snow storm rolling into the center of it.

I tucked my scarf in my coat a bit more to conserve warmth and observed my surroundings, using my eyes to find subjects for my pictures. I want to create a decent sized portfolio for the holiday season because I do really love this time of year. Well, maybe not the increased price in my heating bill and the sleet that covers the streets, but other than that, it's not too bad.

I continued on my little journey through the quiet park, knowing my way around it like the back of my hand. I made a left and saw the Bethesda Terrace about one hundred feet away. Since it was dark out, the beautiful garland put up for the holidays shone brightly, even through the snowflakes. I held my camera up and pointed it at the structure, taking a few different pictures from multiple angles. Once I was satisfied with the outcome of a few of them, I made my way closer to it, wanting to take pictures through the archways.

I almost slipped on a patch of black ice and broke my camera, but I was able to gain my balance rather quickly. I let out a sigh of relief as I did because I do not have the money to throw on a whole new camera right now. I was now underneath the terrace and loved the way the lights create shadows for the arches. I took some more pictures and noticed the snow picking up a little. While I had some cover, I adjusted the blue beanie on my head and zipped up my coat some more. I sniffled a little because of the cold, so I'm most likely going to have a small cold in the next upcoming days.

I was about to walk out from underneath the terrace, but I felt my phone starting to buzz in my coat. I slung my camera around my neck and took off one of my gloves with my teeth, reaching into my pocket for my phone. I glanced down to see it was my mom calling me, so I picked up.

"Hey mom." I said as I already felt my hand getting colder by the second.

"Are you really outside taking pictures? I know the weather is colder there now." She told me as I just rolled my eyes.

"Yes mom, I am still taking pictures because that's what I do. And I know it's colder here, I knew that when I moved here." I explained to her for the billionth time.

"Well everyone here misses you! We know you can't come home for the holidays this year, so we want you to come down for a summer visit!" She said excitedly through the phone.

"Mom, I'll see when I can get a good flight down to Auckland again. And don't be so dramatic about all of you missing me, I was down there less than a month ago." I said with a small chuckle.

"Okay, no need for the facts," she joked with me, "but go home and sleep in the warm bed of yours!"

"I doubt it's really that warm."

"That's because the rent in New York City costs an arm and a leg! And you won't let your father or I pitch in to help!"

"I know, and I'm going to keep it that way. I'm 23 and can do this living thing on my own. I just got out of college last year and have been doing fine." I could feel the eye roll through the phone.

"Yeah, because my daughter making less than $30,000 a year really screams fine–"

"Crrrsh, uh you're breaking u– crrrush– love you!" I said quickly as I hung up the phone. I sighed and put my phone away, quickly putting my glove back on as my hand was probably going to get hypothermia or something like that. I got situated again and was on my way towards the giant ice rink that was put in again for winter time. I've always loved this place when it pops up because I've had so many fond memories here when I was in college with my friends.