One

Katherine was nervous as she rode the elevator up 67 floors. Once the doors opened, she was met with the big glass doors that read King Enterprises. Her stomach knotted up as she remembered the one and only time Harrison brought her there. It was a night full of uncertainty and anxiety, and she tried not to let those feelings impair her mind as she thought about why she was there now.

She let out a breath as she stepped out of the elevator, smoothing her hands down the front of her dress. She hoped she wasn't stepping over a line by visiting Harrison at work. She honestly had no idea how he would react to it. But they were in a relationship now, so she hoped he'd react favorably.

When she pulled open the tall glass door to King Enterprises, she was immediately greeted by a beautiful blonde woman sitting at the front desk.

"How may I help you?" She asked with a wide, friendly smile.

"Um. Hi. I was... I was wondering if Harrison... er, Mr. King is available?" Katherine stammered, feeling her cheeks heating up. Why was she so nervous?

"Do you have a meeting scheduled with him?" The woman asked, clicking the mouse on her computer a few times before quickly typing something on the keyboard.

"Um, no. I-I don't," Katherine told her, feeling her cheeks heat up. Was she not even going to be able to see him because she didn't schedule it in advance?

"I'm sorry. Mr. King only sees clients through pre-scheduled appointments," the woman told her.

"Um, yeah. I know. I'm not a client," Katherine told her, causing the woman to cock her head slightly and send her a questioning look.

"I... Mr. King will want to see me," Katherine continued, refraining from calling herself his girlfriend.

She didn't know if their relationship was something Harrison would want his staff knowing about. He was a very private person, with good reason. So she decided not to mention it.

"And who may I say is here to see him?" She asked, still keeping the friendly smile on her face, which Katherine was grateful for. It made her nerves lessen, if only a little.

"Katherine Mason," she said with a smile.

"I can call his assistant to see if he is available," the woman told her, "You are more than welcome to have a seat right over there."

Katherine nodded and told her a quick 'thank you' before going to sit in the waiting area. She watched as the woman made a phone call before going back to work on her computer. A few minutes later, another exceptionally beautiful woman - a tall brunette this time - walked up to Katherine with a wide smile on her face.

"You must be Katherine."

"I am," she said as she stood on her feet.

"Hello. My name is Gwen. I am Mr. King's assistant."

"Oh. Hi. It's very nice to meet you," Katherine greeted, shaking her awaiting hand.

"It's nice to meet you as well. If you would like to follow me, I can show you to Mr. King's office," Gwen told her with another wide smile.

Katherine immediately followed her on the same familiar path she took once before to Harrison's office. This time, the whole floor was filled with people working all around them.

"I've been told that you are a priority client and that if you ever came in to immediately see you back to Mr. King personally," Gwen informed her.

"Oh. Uh. Wow. That's... that's thorough," Katherine said, feeling a bit taken aback. Priority client, eh?