Thirty

Harrison woke up all alone in the bed he shared with Katherine, the sun shining and the birds singing outside. He very rarely slept past sunrise, but there was something about being on holiday that brought him a peace and comfort that he had never known before. He was sure Katherine had a lot to do with it, which made him wonder where his angel was.

He sat up in the bed, running his fingers through his tousled hair as he looked around the empty room. When he noticed the sliding door slightly cracked open, his stomach swirled with anticipation, wondering if that was where he would find his girl.

He quickly slipped out of bed and padded toward the door before slowly pulling it back, finding Katherine standing on the deck by the railing with a sheet draped around her body as she looked out at the ocean.

"Mm, mon ange," Harrison cooed, his eyes taking her all in.

When she turned to look at him, there was a light in her eyes and an instant smile on her face and it made him feel warm.

"Good morning," she greeted, watching as he sauntered toward her.

"What is this?" He teased as he tugged gently on the sheet she was wearing.

Katherine breathed out a laugh and shrugged her shoulders, "It still feels a bit weird walking outside naked."

"Nothing weird about it here, angel. We're all alone," he reminded her as he slipped his hands in the front of the sheet, immediately finding her warm skin.

"Mm. Suddenly you're here with me and it's not weird at all," Katherine said as she opened her arms to bring him inside the sheet with her, his body sliding against hers.

Harrison pressed his lips to hers, kissing her passionately before pulling back to look into her thoughtful eyes once again.

"Was odd waking up without you," he commented.

"I've been up for a while," she told him as she looked over his shoulder out at the ocean.

"Have you?" He asked, wondering why that was, "What have you been doing?"

"Mostly watching you sleep," she replied as a smirk turned up her lips before her vision met with his again.

"Watching me sleep?" He asked, breathing out a laugh.

Although he spent many nights and mornings doing the same thing with her, it seemed bizarre to him that anyone would want to watch him sleep.

"Mm-hmm. It's not something that usually happens at home. You're always up so early in the morning. I like seeing you like this— so peaceful," she elaborated and it made his heart swell in his chest.

"You are what brings me peace, mon ange," he told her honestly before leaning in to kiss her again.

Before Katherine, Harrison was sure he had never known peace. No amount of time in his life felt anything like it did now with her in it. He didn't know happiness or true pleasure until Katherine either. His life made a drastic shift the moment she stepped into his office the day they first met, and only continued to get better— even through all his self-sabotage and foolishness in the beginning.

He had every instinct not to hire her when they first met— that she would be too much of a temptation, too much of a distraction. But now he couldn't even fathom his life without her.

He never thought he'd be where he was. He never could have predicted any of it. He didn't understand how fulfilling finding someone like Katherine would be, how she would change everything for the better for him. She was so special.

"I have never felt more at peace than I have with you on this vacation, Harrison," Katherine explained as she gently kissed each of his cheeks before leaving a light kiss on the tip of his nose.