Thirty-Three

Katherine got a call from her cousin Christine on the morning that they were to get together. She was on the verge of canceling their plans because a massive storm went through New York state and her in-laws' cellar flooded because of it.

"They're in Florida right now, and Aaron's at work. And his brother is a fucking idiot who wouldn't even know what to do. I'm the only one who can deal with it right now," Christine explained.

"Do you need help? I could go with you," Katherine offered, feeling heavy-hearted about the whole situation.

"Katy, it's all the way in the Catskills. That's like two and a half hours away," Christine reminded her.

"A road trip sounds fantastic right now," Katherine told her, meaning it wholeheartedly, "And I mean, you're going to need someone to help you clean that up."

"Are you sure that's how you want to spend your day?"

"I'm positive, Teeny," Katherine replied, using her nickname from their childhood, "If you're okay with me tagging along, I'd love to go."

"Of course I'm okay with it."

"If you want, we can even take my new car."

"Uh... hell yeah, I want. A luxury Range Rover over my 2014 Toyota Corolla? Yes, please," Christine giggled.

"Perfect! I can pick you up in half an hour," Katherine told her.

"You're awesome, Katy. I'll be ready."

"Road trip?" Katherine heard from behind her as she ended the phone call.

"Holy shit!" She yelped, spinning on her heels to see Mr. Bates standing next to the couch.

"Sorry," he chuckled under his breath.

"Um, yeah. My cousin Christine needs to go up to her in-laws in the Catskills," she explained, "I told her I'd go with."

"Okay," he said, nodding his head.

"You don't have to go though," she told him, waving her hand through the air. She wasn't going to make him drive all that way.

"I believe Mr. King might have an opinion about that," he said, pursing his lips with displeasure.

He was right. Harrison wouldn't like the idea of her going without Mr. Bates. But the thought of her time with Christine being stifled by having another person in the car with them made her feel kind of sad. She wanted to catch up with her cousin, like truly catch up, and she knew they wouldn't be able to have the girl-talk that they usually did with Derek in the car.

"Fine. But do you think you could just follow in the SUV? I kind of just need a girl's day," she conceded, hoping he would understand.

"Of course," he agreed, causing a smile to work its way onto her lips.

"Thanks, Derek."

"You're very welcome, Miss Mason."

A half an hour later, Katherine was idling outside of her cousin's Williamsburg home.

"God damn, this car is sexy!" Christine gushed as she got into the passenger seat of Katherine's new Range Rover, "I never thought I'd say something like that about a car. But damn it anyway. This car is definitely sexy."

"Mm. It is," Katherine agreed as she slid her palm across the leather steering wheel.

"That boyfriend of yours— you sure got lucky, Katy," Christine laughed, smiling widely at her.

"Well, technically Santa got me the car," Katherine teased and Christine laughed out loud, "But, yes, I got very lucky."

"Well, where's my car, you fat bastard?" Christine asked, talking to an imaginary Santa Claus, causing Katherine to giggle.