Fifty-Two

08.15.2023 — This is a chapter in a four part update, along with chapters 51, 53 & 54. Make sure to read chapter 51 first!

.

.

Katherine left the living room to give Mackenzie a bit of privacy, walking into the kitchen to order food from a nearby delicatessen for them, as well as Harrison and Mr. Roberts. When she came back into the living room, the two women chatted while Mackenzie breastfed Leo, and when he was finished, she handed him back to Katherine to snuggle with.

"Have you and Harrison talked about trying for another baby?" Mackenzie asked Katherine curiously.

"Oh—" She choked out, feeling blind-sided by the question. It wasn't like she hadn't thought about it, but they surely had never talked about it.

"I... I think it's a bit too soon," Katherine told her honestly.

She couldn't even imagine what a conversation like that would be like. She was certain it would freak Harrison out the second she mentioned having a baby. Though he did tell her that after the miscarriage, it was the first time he had ever actually thought about becoming a father.

But it was too soon. It was just way too soon. As much as Katherine loved babies, and as much as the miscarriage broke her heart, she knew they just weren't ready. Not yet.

"I'm sorry. Maybe I shouldn't have brought it up."

"No, no. It's okay. It's completely okay. I just meant, it's too soon in our relationship. We've only actually been dating for six months. I think we need a bit more time to get into the groove of things. I don't even know if having children is something that Harrison truly wants. We both had pretty rough upbringings," Katherine explained, feeling a heavy weight on her heart.

"Do you want children?"

"Yeah. I've always wanted to be a mother," she replied, looking down at the little baby in her arms just as she heard the front door open.

She knew right away that Harrison and Mr. Roberts had finally arrived home. When she heard footsteps across the floor, her stomach knotted pleasingly in anticipation of seeing her boyfriend's beautiful face.

"Katherine—" Harrison breathed, stopping in his tracks, looking completely taken aback as he stared at her. He looked a bit flustered, but still ever-so handsome.

"Hi, mon amour," she greeted with a soft smile on her face.

Harrison stood frozen, his eyes dropping down to Leo before coming back up to fixate on Katherine. He looked almost stunned and it caused her to giggle at his reaction.

"Harrison, this is Mr. Bates' wife, Mackenzie."

"Hello," Mackenzie said as she stood up to greet him.

Only then did Harrison's vision move from Katherine as he walked deeper into the room to shake Mackenzie's hand.

"Harrison. Pleasure to meet you," he greeted her.

"You too. Derek has worked with you for years and I always wondered when I'd finally meet you," Mackenzie said with a little laugh.

"Your husband is quite the asset," Harrison offered, causing Mackenzie to smile.

"That's very nice to hear," she said with a bright smile.

"And this is Leo. Am I correct?" Harrison asked as he took a step toward the couch where Katherine sat with the baby.

"That is Leo," Mackenzie said as she sat down again, "I hear you share the same birthday."

"That is what I hear as well," Harrison replied.