Forty-Seven

Katherine stood in the closet in her undergarments looking through the dresses she owned, wondering what she should wear to visit her grandmother for her birthday. It being the tail-end of winter didn't leave her very many options. She owned quite a few sundresses for those beautiful days of summer, but not much she could go out in while it was sleeting in below freezing temperatures.

In the end, she decided to wear the same black pencil skirt she wore to her father's court hearing and the only turtleneck sweater she owned — a soft cream colored one that hugged her body in all the right places. She picked out a pearl necklace and matching earrings before she put on black stockings that clipped to a garter belt and knee-high black leather boots.

When she came out of the bedroom, she was stopped in her tracks when she heard Harrison's voice coming from his office. Hadn't she just said goodbye to him as he left for work not even a handful of hours ago?

Her feet clipped and clopped in her boots as she walked toward his office, wondering why he was home so early. Maybe she could convince him to visit her grandmother with her if he wasn't too busy.

Katherine stepped into the doorway and found Harrison sitting at his desk with the phone up to his ear, tapping a pen against the top of the desk as he attentively listened to whoever was on the other end of the phone call.

"Brilliant. Just what I like to hear. Make double copies of it and have it on my desk by the morning," Harrison spoke into the receiver before he curtly ended the call, dropping the phone into its base on the desk.

His eyes went to the screen of his computer, using his mouse to click through whatever he was working on, oblivious to her standing there.

"Ahem," Katherine cleared her throat, making her presence known. Harrison's vision immediately shot in her direction.

"Katherine," he acknowledged just before a smile turned up his lips, "Was wondering where you were, mon ange."

"And you thought you'd find me in your office?" She teased as she walked deeper into the room.

"I had to quickly make a phone call. Was coming to find you next, but it looks like you're on your way out," he explained as he looked down to see her coat draped over her forearms.

"I am. I'm going to visit my grandmother. It's her birthday," Katherine explained with a soft smile.

"Oh. That's lovely, mon ange. You didn't mention it," he pointed out as he stood up and walked around the desk to meet her.

Harrison looked dapper as hell in a designer Valentino charcoal colored suit that was finely tailored to his specifications. His hair was perfectly styled in its usual wavy elegance, and he had a smile on his face that showcased the sweet, yet sexy dimples in his cheeks.

He was, by far, the most attractive person Katherine had ever been with. She questioned everyday how she was able to attract a man of his caliber. A man who could have any woman he wanted, and he chose her. She was a very lucky lady.

"I was going to call you on the way. It was kind of a last minute thing. Last minute, meaning my phone reminded me this morning that it was her birthday and the least I could do was visit her."

"Regardless of whether it was planned or not, I'm sure your grandmother will enjoy your company, angel," Harrison replied, leaning in to leave a kiss on her forehead, "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," she said with a giggle as she looked down at her conservative outfit before smiling back up at him, "I didn't want to go into a retirement home wearing anything too revealing."

"Spot on," he chuckled, his chestnut eyes sparkling as they crinkled at the edges from his smile.

"How come you're home so early?" She asked curiously.