Thirty-Nine

"Happy Birthday," Katherine cheered happily as Harrison stopped next to the center island counter, looking at all the decorations in the kitchen.

The space was decorated in what seemed to be all the go-to birthday items — a massive amount of colorful balloons and streamers, confetti, an elaborate Happy Birthday banner and, of course, a birthday cake. It looked like a clown threw up in there, but Harrison loved it because Katherine loved it. Her smile was so bright and happy that it made his heart feel like it wanted to burst from his chest.

"I wanted you to have at least one birthday that actually felt like a birthday," she explained as she smiled brightly at him, "I want you to know how special you are. You're amazing and you deserve to be celebrated."

"Wow, mon ange," he said before letting out a little laugh, "You did all this?"

"I mean, Derek helped a little— uh, Mr. Bates," she corrected, and he appreciated that she was trying to abide by his request of using the security staff's surnames.

No matter how many times she said they weren't under her employ, it didn't matter. As far as Harrison was concerned, what was his was hers. She was his girlfriend, his partner— and Bates was her security detail, so there needed to be a distinct level of authority. He was glad that she was being congenial about it.

"Thank you, mon ange," Harrison said as he set the flower bouquet on the counter before he pulled her back into his arms to give her another kiss, "It's fantastic."

"You're welcome, baby. I want to celebrate you. I want you to know how loved you are," she told him.

"Thank you," he breathed, kissing her again.

"Oh, hey. Speaking of Mr. Bates..."

"What is it?" Harrison asked, knitting his eyebrows together in concern. What did he do?

"He and his wife Mackenzie had their baby. Today — of all days. On your birthday," she relayed with a look of pure elation lighting up her face.

"Did they?" Harrison asked as the tiniest of smiles broadened across his lips.

As hard as he tried to keep the lines between employee and employer as definite and resolute as possible, he learned long ago that he was flawed when it came to the people he let into his life. He somehow allowed the lines to blur with his staff — starting with Katherine, and then with Mr. Roberts, and now with Mr. Bates. He was certain Mr. Daniels would be next, and it was all Katherine's fault.

But he also found himself not too concerned over it, which was admittedly surprising to him. He figured as long as his security team continued to work as diligently as they always did, it wouldn't make much of a difference in the long run.

"They did. A little boy. Leo. How cute is that? Leo," Katherine cooed, her facial features soft and affectionate, causing his mind to run wild.

He easily imagined what she might look like holding her own baby in her arms, and it caused his stomach to turn fondly. He knew with absolute certainty that Katherine would make an exceptional mother. She was made for it.

It only took a few moments before Harrison's mind and heart were agonizingly reminded of the fact that they had lost the baby she had been carrying only four months before. If she were still pregnant, she would be standing in front of him nearly six months along with a robust belly, swelling with the child that hadn't been planned, but was still beloved nonetheless.

"What's the matter?" Katherine asked as her eyebrows knit together in concern.

Harrison's vision met hers before he promptly cleared his throat, letting the discontent evaporate from his expression.