Thirty-Six

It was the sixth day that Harrison had been gone when Katherine heard rumblings of voices in the quiet apartment. She was in the middle of doing laundry and got startled by the intrusion of noise, wondering what the hell was going on, especially since she thought she was home alone.

Completely alone. Not even Mr. Daniels was on duty.

Her heart beat heavily in her chest as she peeked her head around the doorway of the laundry room. When she finally placed the voice speaking, her stomach turned with excitement and her heart swelled.

Mr. Roberts.

If Mr. Roberts was there, that meant one thing.

Katherine quickly made her way toward the sound of his voice and all her anticipation was alleviated when she finally heard Harrison speak.

"Harrison!" She yelped excitedly when he came into view.

"Mon ange," he cooed as a smile turned up his lips.

"Hi," she greeted as she dashed the rest of the distance, jumping into his arms.

"Hello, my beautiful Kath—" He began, but she stifled his words with a kiss, unable to hold back.

"You're home early," she pointed out before kissing him again.

"I am," he mumbled against her lips as he held her while she continued to kiss him.

"I'm so happy," she murmured through her kisses.

"Mm," Harrison hummed as his tongue slipped pleasingly against hers.

It took Katherine a few more weak moments to realize that the two of them weren't alone and that the amount of affection they were showing one another might make an outsider feel very uncomfortable.

Katherine let out a pleased sigh as she finally pulled back and made a move to extract herself from Harrison's arms. He slowly dropped her feet back down on the floor as he left one more kiss on her lips.

Katherine cleared her throat as she looked over at Mr. Roberts, and said a sheepish, "sorry."

"No, no. By all means," he said with a laugh, "Can't wait to get home to my wife, if I'm honest. Though I don't know how well she would receive me jumping into her arms like that."

Katherine choked out a laugh, finding it surprising to hear a joke come out of him. He was usually quite stoic and kept his thoughts to himself, for the most part.

"You never know until you try," Harrison quipped, causing Katherine's head to snap in his direction, amusement wide on her face.

"You are quite right, sir," Mr. Roberts chuckled, smiling at Harrison.

What was going on? Since when did these two joke with each other? Or at all?

"Japan must have been fun," she quipped, smiling widely as she volleyed her vision between the two.

"A completely other world. I've never seen anything like it," Harrison told her sincerely.

"Very true," Mr. Roberts agreed.

"It was your first time?" She asked, a little surprised by that fact.

"It was. I'll have to bring you sometime," Harrison replied with a smirk, causing her stomach to flutter.

A trip to Japan? That would be amazing, but she didn't want to get her hopes up. She knew that their vacation to Bora Bora was more or less a fluke. Harrison rarely got away from the office and they both saw how that turned out with his father ruining it by the end.