Chapter 1 - Big Steps

When you take a big step in your life, it is always nerve racking. When you make a big change, it is meant to terrify you. It is meant to make you question everything. That's how I felt. That's how I was supposed to feel. Driving down from Manchester to London, everything was supposed to feel like that. I was supposed to question whether I was doing the right thing or not. But when I arrived at Leah's apartment, with a car full of stuff, I knew I made the right decision. My stomach was settled, and my heart felt at peace. I was in London. I was going to play for Chelsea.

I texted Leah, to let her know that I arrived.

Ettie: I'm here! Come help me with my crap please

Leah: coming down :)

I was so grateful to Leah, for letting me stay with her while I was finding my own place. I would've been completely lost without her. Leah always had a way to make someone feel safe. To make them feel welcome. She had a heart of gold that I admired, and courage that could be contagious. If only it spread more to me.

"Ettie!" I heard Leah call out, as she walked out of her apartment and down to my car. She came straight over to me and embraced me in a hug. It had been a while since I last saw her. With Covid, our season came to an end early, and Chelsea ended up bagging the win over Arsenal and Manchester City. It was annoying, as there were still quite a few games left to play, but sometimes life doesn't always work in your favour.

"It's been a while," I said to her, smiling.
"Too long! How's Kie?" We both grabbed some bags and headed up to her apartment. She was rooming with Jordan, her person of complications. That's what Leah likes to call her. She and Jordan have had a rocky relationship. You would never call them stable. Sometimes they are together, and sometimes they aren't. It can get quite confusing.

"So," I whispered into Leah's ear as we walked into the apartment, "are you and Jordan together this month or not?" As I asked this, Leah, I could tell, got slightly embarrassed.
"Ettie, she is the most complicated thing ever, I'm not sure how much more I can do this for." I gave her a slight hug, as we put the bags down in my room. I could understand that feeling. I had that with Hayley. All the time, I just felt confused, not understanding what we were or how serious we were. It's confusing, when the person you are supposed to love isn't being open back with you.
"Is she here?" I asked Leah, referencing Jordan.
"Yeah. She's out back." I went out to find Jordan, to give her a hug. Jordan was also one of the people who welcomed me into the Lionesses when I was so young. She is so sweet, and kind, such a little teddy bear. 

"Jords!" I said, as I walked out to the patio, where Jordan was sitting with her phone.
"Ettie!" She replied back, "how have you been?" We embraced each other with a hug, and I sat on the seat next to her.
"I'm okay, I'm okay." I said this with such confidence that even I believed it. I believed that I was okay.
"I have a bone to pick with you though," Jordan added, "I know it hasn't been officially announced yet, but why Chelsea? Like come on! You should've come to Arsenal. We got a threatening team at the moment. We got Viv, Leah, Caitlin, and guess what."
"What?"
"We have even secured that amazing Aussie chick - India Harrison. Have you heard of her?" As Jordan said this, I knew exactly who she was talking about. India Harrison. She is set to be one of the best players in the world, and she is only 20. She debuted when she was 15, and is already at nearly 50 caps for her country. No one can get past her. No one can stop her. Best centerback in the world, apparently.
"Yeah, of course I've heard of her. Who hasn't?" I said, laughing. Then Leah came through the doors to the patio, and called us both inside to start preparing dinner.

The next day, I went to the Chelsea headquarters to officially sign my contract and make the announcement of my move. It had been disclosed that I didn't accept an extension from my contract at Manchester city, but nothing had been affirmed as to where I was going.

As I arrived at headquarters, I was met by Emma Hayes, the manager of Chelsea, and other executives.
"Juliette!" Emma said to me, elbow bumping me (because of covid restrictions), "it's so great to have you here. We are all so excited."
"I'm so excited," I said to her, "but please, call me Ettie." I hate Juliette. I know it's meant to be pretty and the way it's spelt is meant to be unique, but I hate it. I always have. When I was young, my parents called me Jules. But I hated that too. So I changed it. I experimented with my different names as a kid, from Li, to Lia, to Julie, to Julia. But the only one that I liked was Ettie. It was different. It was me.
"Of course, Ettie," Emma said to me, smiling.

We went into the building, and sat down in front of the press. I signed the contract, as photographers were taking pictures. I hated the pictures, but I knew they were necessary. I couldn't sign a contract at not have photographers wanting to snap pictures.

When I was signing, I don't think I had ever written my name so many times in one sitting before. I was then given my jersey. A Chelsea blue, with the number seven and the last name Walsh written on the back. As I looked at the jersey, I was happy. I was satisfied. This is what I wanted. I know it was.

As the photographers got pictures of me with my jersey, I smiled, softly. I was so happy to be where I knew I was supposed to. To have the fresh start that I dreamt of. The fresh start I needed. But I didn't like the photos. Not one bit.

I soon announced my move on my instagram. I posted a picture, of me with my Chelsea jersey, sitting down, as so my body was hidden by the table. 

ettiewalsh7: super excited to announce that i will be joining chelsea for the next two seasons.  #COYB

mbrighty04: sooo exciting! already pumped to get @racheldaly3 jealous

racheldaly3: @mbrighty04 I already am jealous! please don't forget about me

A lot of people were surprised that I moved, and many fan accounts were already making sat edits of Keira and me. We were always so supportive and happy to be at Manchester City together. There are many adorable clips of her and me hugging after goals, or celebrating when we won. On the announcement post, many accounts were not happy.

Walshsisters724: im soooo sad keira and ettie aren't going to be on the same team anymore

Footballfan123: Do we reckon ettie and kiera are okay? Why would they go their separate ways especially because they have been so good at manchester?

Preathxjindi: @footballfan123 Maybe Ettie just wants a fresh start?

I turned my phone off, not wanting to let the comments affect me in any way. I was excited to be at Chelsea, and nothing could stop that.

Breaking News: Ettie Walsh Signs for Chelsea WFC, while twin sister, Keira, stays at Manchester City 

The Walsh sisters have been the talk of the town for the past six years, playing together at Manchester City for all their professional careers. The two twins have been unstoppable together, both debuting in the WSL as teenagers, and later playing together with the England National Team.

Ettie, the younger of the two twins, has recently announced her move to Chelsea, for the next two seasons. A formidable full back, Ettie has played alongside her sister since they were five years old. Getting her first WSL cap when she was 16, Ettie has played over 100 games for Manchester City, and over 70 caps for the Lionesses. Ettie's success, she says, should be attributed to Keira, as she was the one who pushed them both to pursue football, as a full time career.

Keira, who debuted one year after Ettie in the WSL, and three years after her for England's lionesses, is set to stay in Manchester, and continue her allegiance to City. Both sisters, unsurprisingly, are sad to not be playing alongside each other any longer, with Ettie saying that it was "upsetting, but the right time."

Currently 23, both players are excited for the next step in their respective journey's, although disappointed to not be doing it together.