Chapter 19 - Final Day

The final game of the season would determine whether Manchester City or Chelsea would win the League. It was a hard weekend for the Walsh household as both my parents were conflicted - Chelsea or City?

"I'm sorry," I said to Leah, the day before the last round.
"It's okay, we were never going to win after we lost that few in the middle of the season."
"I know, but still."
"No, you should be proud that you could win it. Go out there, Ett, and get that trophy." I smiled as she said this, and leaned into her, kissing her. Somehow and for some reason, I was happy. Happy with her. Happy with myself. It felt good. Everything felt good.

We were to play Reading in the final game, and all we had to do was win. A win would seal it, as Manchester City did win their own game.

As we arrived at the game, I was nervous. This season had gone by so quickly that I didn't even realise that I had just completed my first season at the club of my dreams. I was so unbelievably happy at Chelsea, and it made me feel unconditionally alive.

"Ok guys, I want a clinical performance, alright?" Emma said to us, as we were about to head out. We all nodded in unison, and Sam and I linked arms, before heading onto the pitch.

And a clinical performance did we have. We scored in the first two minutes, and by the end we were 5-0. We were champions of England. As the final whistle blew, I ran up to Sam, and jumped on her, wrapping my legs around her waist, so ecstatic to have won. All the girls came running to us, and we all fell into a pile on the floor.

As we received the trophy, it was time for celebrations. We had the alcohol and the smiles, all you need for a good time. I checked my phone, and saw a message from Keira.

Keira: proud of you!!

Ettie: thank u!! Ill see you soon

I got off my phone, and returned to the celebrations.
"I'm so proud of each of you," Magda said, as we were in the changing room, "now let's go party!" She got the drinks out and handed us each one, clinking our glasses with each other's. We hadn't had a party in a long time, because of covid, and so it felt so exciting finally being able to celebrate like this with the girls.

"You know," Sam said to me, "I'm going to have to play against Kristie at the Olympics of all places." Sam was drunk, and so was I.
"Well, that sounds like a sticky situation!" I drank more of my beer as I said this, annoyed at how unlucky that would be, having to verse your significant other at international level. I mean, I have to verse Leah, but it's a different feeling at club level.
"Maybe we'll even win," she said, thinking about it.
"Maybe!"

We returned back to the party, and started singing to the songs, and grabbing more drinks. By the end, we were all completely fucked. Magda was one of the worst, vomiting a little while Pernille held her hair back. They are the cutest people, and together they have the kindest soul.

Sam and I shared an Uber home, both too drunk to drive, and when I arrived back at the apartment, Leah was waiting for me.
"I'm too drunk," I said to her, as she was sitting upright in bed. It was nearly 2am in the morning, but she waited up. I had the quickest shower, and got into bed, turning the light off and closing my eyes.
"You're so cute when you're drunk," Leah said, laughing.
"Don't even bring that up!" I said to her, knowing she was thinking of when we had both just turned 18, and we went clubbing with Keira. After we had our incident at camp, we both had to remain civil, for Keira's sake.
She got with Jordan and I then got with Hayley. We were moving apart, and in different directions, although, somehow our paths always seemed to cross.
"Ok, I won't," Leah said, laughing, kissing me on the cheek and turning her own light off.

I woke up the next morning with my socials bursting. Everyone was tagging me and Chelsea, so happy that we had won the league. All the girls posted something, and I knew I should. I chose a generic picture of us with the trophy and confetti. We were all smiling, and I had my arm wrapped around Sam as we screamed with joy.

Ettiewalsh7: CHAMPIONS OF ENGLAND BABY @chelseafcw

Samanthakerr20: winnings never looked better etts

erincutherbert_ : fireeee

Mbrighty4: proud of uss

Keirawalsh: proudest twin right here

It felt like a dream, winning, but now, it was time to focus on the Olympics. Team GB. Team Great Britain. Everyone's dream.